Serving sizes?

fickleee
fickleee Posts: 43 Member
I understand this is probably stupid but I’m curious about serving sizes. Wouldn’t the total added of the bag be 400 since 160+160=320? And than add 80 since that’s half?

I’m curious with this since it shows you should be cautious about some of the serving sizes and totals of it. I can’t tell if I’m just overthinking of this/being to cautious, or just that some calories are wrong of bags.

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    You are correct 160 x 2.5 = 400 The word "about" is probably how they can get away with it.

Side note, you should be weighing your food with a food scale, using the 28g part of the serving size, measuring is not accurate.
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Remember that labels have room for error. As much as 20% for some ingredients.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    I just use the serving size to enter the nutrition facts into MFP or check them if I happen to use an entry already in the MFP database. After that, I change the serving to 1 gram increments and just enter the weight.

You are in complete control of how much you eat of something at a time. If the suggested serving size is 28 grams, I get out what I want and, when I weigh, it might be 19 grams or 37 or some other amount. I enter that and see how many calories it has and adjust the amount if a different amount would work better with that day's plan before I go ahead and consume.
  • seska422
    edited July 2018
    fickleee wrote: »
    I understand this is probably stupid but I’m curious about serving sizes. Wouldn’t the total added of the bag be 400 since 160+160=320? And than add 80 since that’s half?

I’m curious with this since it shows you should be cautious about some of the serving sizes and totals of it. I can’t tell if I’m just overthinking of this/being to cautious, or just that some calories are wrong of bags.
    A data point that we are missing in that picture is the weight of the package. As a previous poster said, the "about 2.5 servings per container" is important. Since the whole bag has 350 calories and one serving has 160 calories, the bag has about 2.1875 servings. That would mean that the whole package weighs about 61.25 grams. A package that had 2.5 servings would have 400 calories and weigh 70 grams.
  • fickleee
    fickleee Posts: 43 Member
    It has 63.7 grams from what I saw.
  • seska422
    edited July 2018
    fickleee wrote: »
    It has 63.7 grams from what I saw.
    Things get rounded on nutrition facts so that lines up pretty well with the numbers shown.

Calorie counting isn't exact. Fortunately, close enough works in the long run as long as you do what you need to dial in to close enough.