Food and belly fat reduction?

Options
2»

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    You lose weight ALL OVER not from one area. When there is not enough fat in one area you will start to lose it the areas with more fat. There is no way to target one area. Sorry, this is how it happens.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just give it time. I lost the bulk of my weight well over a year ago but my waist didn’t reduce much until I was very lean everywhere else. I’m at around 15-16% body fat now, and I’ve still got a bit I could lose if wanted to go full Christiano Ronaldo.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Well I’ve been reducing calories in my belly fat is not going to town at all I’m stuck between 40-41 inches

The order of the places you lose comes down to genetics. For a lot of people the stomach is the last place. You just have to wait it out.

yep Im 5 years into losing fat(Im maintaining weight right now and losing fat recomping) and its the rest is just now coming off there and my hips/saddlebags.

Mine is on my thighs. I've been low enough bf to bulk a couple times but I always have that little bit on my thighs that I have just come to accept. I have no interest in getting a low enough bf for it to disappear. I'd never be able to maintain it if I did.

I havent been a low enough body fat yet to bulk. I tried a deficit over and over the last 5 years and cant seem to get down to a low enough percentage or to where I think I should be. even with low calories(nothing less than 1300) I cant seem to lose like I should.dont know why(blood work comes back normal to where nothing should hinder the loss). Im doing better eating at maintenance and losing the fat compared to being in a deficit. I have taken diet breaks over the course of the 5 years. some lasting a month or 2 to make sure to get things back where they should be.

went back to weighing everything and counting and nothing. so I figure I will just keep doing what Im doing as long as Im seeing results. the lowest Ive been is 163 lbs. Im 5'6 1/2, 43 almost 44 and my weight before I became obese was 140s. Im in the 170s now. which some could be muscle as I have been lifting since I started my journey but dont think a big percentage is.my clothes still fit the same since I gained some weight back(10lbs or so in the last year). but the fat is coming off so I cant complain

Seeing your posts over the years, I know you've come a long way while dealing with some medical issues. Sounds like you're doing well despite the frustrations.

I think recomp is great and I'm glad you're seeing results. I'm thinking that's where I'm heading myself. I've had a couple wrist injuries this past year, including one surgery, and I don't think I can work as hard as I would like to bulking. I'm also on the cusp of 44, in just over a month in fact, and don't rebound like I used to. Hopefully, in time, I can get one or two more bulk/cut cycles in. But I think recomp is necessary at this point.

If I haven't said it before, congrats on your progress!

I'll stop jacking the OP's thread now. :)

me too I will be 44 next sunday. but yes I found something that is finally working lol age makes it harder to do things too but I do what I have to do lol. I am doing as well as I can for now. yeah its been one HECK of a journey I will say that and many times I wanted to give up but I knew if I did I would end up back at square one and maybe have worse issues, so that keeps me going.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Well I’ve been reducing calories in my belly fat is not going to town at all I’m stuck between 40-41 inches

You've just got to keep losing weight until it decides to come off your midsection. For many, it's unfortunately the last to go.

Yep. Could be somewhere else though. I got a very flat stomach (never had a lot there) but my bum and upper thighs didn't really change a lot. Shopping for pants is even more fun now :s
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have a long way to go to get those flat abs I so desperately covet! I know this has mostly to do with diet. When will I start getting serious about this?

Good question. Only you can answer that.

It's good to understand, though, that even when you do start getting serious about it, it's not going to happen quickly. Think months (at the minimum) rather than weeks.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I had a truly tremendous Buddha Belly after a long bulk last year. 44” at the naval. Lost 10” in 5 months. However, I’m lucky as my belly is the last place I gain fat and one of the first it comes off.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    1st time it was calorie deficit and running 30+ miles a week. I lost a 50 pound beer gut. Then I gained 30 pounds and gut back. 2nd time started July 10th on keto and am down 18 pounds. Gut is shrinking too. If you are built like me your belly is the last place you lose fat and the first place you gain it back.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    What I ate had nothing to do w/it.

I developed a 6 pack by controlling how much I ate (cals/day net of exercise), lifting weights, losing 46# and dropping my BF from +20% to -10% as measured by hydro.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Fewer calories. Plus Oreos, cake sandwiches and kale.

In all seriousness though, I just followed mfp and lifting.
  • gnwaoha9331
    gnwaoha9331 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Peole say you don’t choose where your body sheds fat. Why does my leg thigh have more fat content and more muscle than my left. I’m talking about 3 inch difference here.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Peole say you don’t choose where your body sheds fat. Why does my leg thigh have more fat content and more muscle than my left. I’m talking about 3 inch difference here.

You can build muscle in certain place.. but fat distribution is genetics.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

because one side of your body is different than the other. its like that for most people. I am right handed so of course I use my right hand/arm more so there is a bigger difference in the muscle and fat there compared to my left side. same with other parts of my body.some people have one arm longer than the other or leg,some have one eye bigger or different shape than the other. it just happens
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I have a long way to go to get those flat abs I so desperately covet! I know this has mostly to do with diet. When will I start getting serious about this?

It’s been 2 months since you first posted. Have you been losing weight during that time? How much? Are you seeing any changes in body composition?

When you say it has mostly to do with diet, do you mean you still believe that your choice of foods influences your abs, or did you mean diet as in “eating at a calorie deficit”?