What are macros and how do I use them?

Options
abrac07
abrac07 Posts: 6 Member
A little bit confused about this term and would love to learn more about this Tia

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Macronutrients (fat, protein, carbs) are the forms calories come in. MFP's default is a good starting point. If you don't know what macros are and what they "do", chances are you don't need to worry about them.

To lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories than you burn, consistently, for real, and for a long time. In order to eat fewer calories than you burn, you just have to eat less. But in order to do it consistently, for real, and for a long time, you may need a healthy diet. A balanced macro split tends to lead to a healthy diet. But just like any other method, you have to not mess it up. Some things are hard to mess up, but if we get too excited, we can do it inadvertently. So think it through, do you need to change your diet, or do you just need more patience?
  • abrac07
    abrac07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, oh the diet needs to change big time 😱 I’m a total disaster at the minute
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    abrac07 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, oh the diet needs to change big time 😱 I’m a total disaster at the minute

If you're new to tracking and being more mindful about your intake, perhaps take a few days or a week to just track what you currently eat. This will give you a good idea about how much you're eating and you will be able to see a how you spread your macros.

Once you've got used to tracking, start making changes to quantities and food choices to better fit your calorie goal first of all, and then tweak and experiment further to pick foods that satisfy and satiate you.