Need your advice on what I should do next.

Options
fb47
fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
I ended my cut last week. So I am currently on maintenance calories. Normally, I would stick with 2-3 weeks at maintenance and then start my bulk. However, I'll be on vacation in mid September and I will certainly not track my food there, so I may come back from my trip gaining a lot of weight. Last time, I went on a trip, I came back 7 lbs heavier. If I do come back that much heavy, I'll probably go on a mini cut for 2 weeks or until I am back to my pre-vacation weight which shouldn't take much times (usually less than 2-3 weeks because of all the water weight getting flushed out).

Now my dilemma is this, should I:
A) start my bulk in 2-3 weeks as planned and then when I come back from my vacation, I deal with the consequences, meaning if I gained a lot, I do a 1-3 weeks mini cut if necessary and then get back to my regular bulk.

or

B ) Stay on maintenance until I come back from my trip in Mid September, deal with the consequences later (meaning I do a 1-3 weeks mini cut if necessary) when I come back from vacation, then I can start my bulk.

or

C) Another solution that I may not have thought of like maybe just come back from vacation and continue my bulk regardless how heavy I may be after my vacation.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say either option A or B. If you want to get started on your bulk, go for it now to make use of this time. Unless you want to stay lean for your vacation. Maybe do a very lean bulk so you stay lean for September? It really depends on your timeline and your goals. If being shredded is more important to you vs looking a bit more full. You will have to decide!

I would do a mini-cut after vacation just to shed some water weight if necessary then get back to bulking. Last thing you want is to keep adding weight when you are uncomfortable!
  • fb47
    edited July 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would say either option A or B. If you want to get started on your bulk, go for it now to make use of this time. Unless you want to stay lean for your vacation. Maybe do a very lean bulk so you stay lean for September? It really depends on your timeline and your goals. If being shredded is more important to you vs looking a bit more full. You will have to decide!

I would do a mini-cut after vacation just to shed some water weight if necessary then get back to bulking. Last thing you want is to keep adding weight when you are uncomfortable!

Actually I don't care about being shredded, I wonder if I start my lean bulk, it would be all for nothing if I have to do a mini cut when I come back from my trip (all depending if I gain a huge amount of weight in 1 week like my last trip).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How many weeks would you be bulking before your trip? I don't think it would be a waste. And the mini cut would be mostly for bloat/water and maybe a tiny bit of fat. Once you feel back to normal you can start the bulk again. Up to you though!
  • fb47
    edited July 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How many weeks would you be bulking before your trip? I don't think it would be a waste. And the mini cut would be mostly for bloat/water and maybe a tiny bit of fat. Once you feel back to normal you can start the bulk again. Up to you though!

Oh I know it will be all water weight, that's why the mini cut won't last long. I will lose the weight gain pretty fast. I would have 3-4 weeks of lean bulking before my trip. Judging by your answer, I should bulk nonetheless.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    TBH, I wouldn't worry about doing a water weight cut.

My water weight after 3weeks in the sun and long flights is mainly gone on day 3 (pee like an elephant) the odd lbs just naturally drops over the next 2 weeks, no cal deficit needed even if a lbs or so was from overindulgence.

Start your bulk now, as you know, there will be little to no effect to your physique with a weeks break.

Cheers, h.
  • fb47
    Options
    Awesome, I'll listen to both of you and bulk in 3 weeks.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Will you be lifting while on vacation?

If it's just a lean bulk of what I assume is a 250-500 calorie surplus a day. Staying on the lower spectrum you should look fairly similar to how you do now. Maybe even better due to the increase in carbs. I'd say do the bulk and see where you're at when you're back from vacation. You can even just call it an extended refeed cycle and enjoy gorging yourself. You just finished a cut! Enjoy feeling stuff for a bit.