Before or after workout

Options
windime
windime Posts: 27 Member
Do you eat before or after you work out? And
are any proteins or carbs preferred for either one? Any suggestions?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Always after for me, but it's honestly just personal preference. If I eat within 2 hour before working out I feel sick and lethargic. When I eat after working out I just eat a regular balanced meal with protein, fat, and carbs, no protein shake.
  • TeamNemesisSteve
    TeamNemesisSteve Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I always workout first and then eat later. Even if it’s 9-10pm at night! I personally have never seen any adverse effects from doing so. I might add that I do a lot of cardio.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I personally do both...about an hour before I lift I eat a protein rich snack and espresso, then right before my workout and during I have candy. Then after, I have lunch.. usually something high protein and some carbs.

I would say unless you are an elite athlete, it really doesn't matter much. As long as you are getting your calories and macros throughout the day. Do whatever is convenient and makes you feel and perform best.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple hours prior because I need energy, especially if lifting weights. I cant work out with nothing in my tank, like first thing in the morning.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If I eat before training I always feel sick. Plus I train at 5am and just can't get myself to eat before that. As said I don't think it make too big a difference but if strength training I would suggest getting some protein in after training. Preferably from food but a shake if need be.
  • allie_oopsiesTK
    allie_oopsiesTK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always eat after. I do cardio in the morning and eat boiled egg weighted and oatmeal about 30 minutes after.