THANK YOU - Cycling Advice and Encouragement

Options
mjbnj0001
mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
I was surveyed last evening by MFP for feedback on these message boards; many of you have probably also gotten queried from time to time.

I thought about it, and agreed with the question that ran something like, "Do these forums help you in your goals?"

I returned to cycling after about 30 yrs this January, replete with my share of weight-and-age related problems and maladies, apprehension and a nice new bike the family bought for my Christmas/retirement gift.

I spent the winter and spring ramping up gradually on my riding capabilities, both in the gym (stationary bike) and outdoor, real-world cycling. Along the way, I asked my share of questions on techniques, measurements, approaches and the like. Some I'm sure were stupid or naive, but important to me nonetheless. I also chimed in with my own advice occasionally when someone seemed to be starting the same sort of journey I had embarked on; this helps me codify my own experience.

Now, mid-year and another birthday gone, I'm approaching 500 miles (not so many as others ride, but for me, this is tracking to my hoped-for-projections), have lost 30 lbs (and put on 6-8 lbs of muscle as measured by my doctor; my January goal was 25 lbs lost for the year, I've now restated the goal to 45), and am feeling great. None of my concerns over my physiological limits and conditions has come to pass, and I'm out-and-about enjoying the world and retirement. I expect I'll be around longer for my kids and their families.

So, THANKS to all of you who gave me encouragement and advice to date. It is truly appreciated.