Having issues

I normally burn 500 to 750 calories per workout.
But I. The last few I have noticed that burned calories are adding up. My workouts haven’t changed. What can I do to boost my calorie cut out going?

Normal workout
10 min warm up.
Jump rope, row machine and or Elliptical.
Hour to hour and half of weights.
Today’s workout. Which is normal. 1 hour 14mins. 63 sets. 335 reps. 38000 total lbs. . (depending on what I do.). Calories burned 208.
Please help

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    How are you determining the calorie burn?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    While I think that the calorie estimates by the OP, among others, are overblown, I'm wondering if anyone has come across any peer reviewed articles that actually talk about calorie estimates for weight lifting. Note, the peer reviewed part is important. Google Scholar and a search on my university's library's website netted approximately zero useful articles. I am not interested in how many calories I personally am or am not burning while lifting weights, but I'm interested in the science.

I'm well aware that the most accurate way of calculating calories burned in any exercise, especially weight lifting, would be in a lab or lab like setting.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    While I think that the calorie estimates by the OP, among others, are overblown, I'm wondering if anyone has come across any peer reviewed articles that actually talk about calorie estimates for weight lifting. Note, the peer reviewed part is important. Google Scholar and a search on my university's library's website netted approximately zero useful articles. I am not interested in how many calories I personally am or am not burning while lifting weights, but I'm interested in the science.

I'm well aware that the most accurate way of calculating calories burned in any exercise, especially weight lifting, would be in a lab or lab like setting.

Or in your food diary.
  • aokoye

Or in your food diary.
    What? Your sentence doesn't make any sense to me in the context of my post.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    karlpm wrote: »
    If you're using something like the apple watch or FitBit to measure heart rate and this calories you'll have issues with strength training. They're only accurate for steady state cardio.

For weights you should use a chest strap and the app/device should know your gender, height and weight at a minimum to give you any kind of accurate result.

for 75 minutes I'd be thinking your numbers of 500-750 are correct depending on effort/rest breaks.

Also if you're training for that long I'd suggest taking some BCAA's while you're training to stop your body using muscle for energy.

Wonder why this and the post regarding HIIT have so many WOO's?

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member

Or in your food diary.

I added to your last sentence. If you keep really good food records in your diary, the answer will be there. Or you could go to a lab and pay money to get this answer too. Weight training is not very aerobic.
  • aokoye

Or in your food diary.

I added to your last sentence. If you keep really good food records in your diary, the answer will be there. Or you could go to a lab and pay money to get this answer too. Weight training is not very aerobic.

Ah ok I see what you're saying. Thankfully least some of us (you included) realize that weight training isn't a particularly aerobic activity and thus it won't burn nearly as many calories as aerobic activities. I most definitely clicked "woo" on the 500-700 calories in 75 min comment given my cycling workout last night, which was also 75 min. What I'm interested in is studies done on the calories burned while doing anaerobic exercises vs at rest.

Again, I'm not even going to pretend that one is burning loads of calories while weight lifting, but I'm interested in the science behind it (as opposed to journaling). I have access to a number of journals but I can't find what I'm after. Given I don't have a background in physiology I'm not willing to say that it's an issue of the studies not existing - it's more than likely my search terms and figuring out databases are best to search in. I suppose I could also ask my physical therapist on Monday as well.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    karlpm wrote: »
    If you're using something like the apple watch or FitBit to measure heart rate and this calories you'll have issues with strength training. They're only accurate for steady state cardio.

For weights you should use a chest strap and the app/device should know your gender, height and weight at a minimum to give you any kind of accurate result.

for 75 minutes I'd be thinking your numbers of 500-750 are correct depending on effort/rest breaks.

Also if you're training for that long I'd suggest taking some BCAA's while you're training to stop your body using muscle for energy.

Sorry but BCAA's are just another marketing ploy. You get BCAA's from your diet this no reason to drink them as a supplement.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member

Agree. Calories burned whilst weightlifting is subjective at best unless in a lab.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited August 2018

The Compendium of Physical Activities lists weight lifting as 6.0 METs for vigorous weight lifting and 3.0 METs for a light/moderate effort. Using Cornell University's METs to Calories Converter, you can obtain an estimate of calories expended.

(ACSM documentation of the Compendium, via a Google Scholar search:
    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1ab1/cfd35edf7ad3af95092eea996184a27a925e.pdf )

The problem is that the effort involved in strength training varies so much that it's hard to be very accurate. Different exercises, rep schemes, rest periods, intensity levels, etc. can make a significant difference.

As to the Compendium of Physical Activities itself, here's what Wikipedia says about it:
    Compendium of Physical Activities

The Compendium of Physical Activities was developed for use in epidemiologic studies to standardize the assignment of MET intensities in physical activity questionnaires. Dr. Bill Haskell from Stanford University conceptualized the compendium and developed a prototype for the document. The compendium was used first in the Survey of Activity, Fitness, and Exercise (SAFE study - 1987 to 1989) to code and score physical activity records. Since then, the compendium has been used in studies worldwide to assign intensity units to physical activity questionnaires and to develop innovative ways to assess energy expenditure in physical activity studies. The compendium was published in 1993 and updated in 2000 and 2011.

So I suppose that, short of having the ability to always exercise in a lab, the Compendium is probably the closest we're able to get in nailing down caloric expenditure.