Low Calorie Dessert

Hi, I'm wondering what peoples go to desserts are? I'm definitely a chocolate lover so anything chocolatey is a win - I don't eating fruit and yogurt etc for dessert but I'm interesting in what people have for an indulgent dessert without using too many of their Calorie allowance on it?

Thanks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You have to spend some calories to make great food. That's what MFP is all about, priorites. People like, and thus prioritize, different things. Welcome! For recipes, go to the recipe board.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Indulgent = calories. For sweet and low cal I generally have sugar free jelly/jello
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    I like mini ice cream sandwiches (great value) or fudge bars (healthy choice) for 100 calories each.
    I also tweak a box mix of devil's food cake by using liquid eggs instead of whole eggs and greek yogurt instead of the oil (you have to add about 1/2 a cup of water to account for the loss of liquid). The nutrition facts end up being 92 calories, 21 carbs, 2.5 fat, and 2.8 protein for a regular muffin size. They're not super rich so I add half a tablespoon of special dark chocolate syrup for an additional 23 cal, 6 carbs and no fat or protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    Have less chocolate and eat it slower? Ghirardelli squares are 50-70 calories. I nibble around the edges first, let this dissolve in my mouth rather than chewing, and can make one of them last @ 15 minutes.

If you want high volume but low calories, fruit is a great option. Local, seasonal fruit tends to be much yummier than supermarket fruit.

Some people swear by fake ice cream like Halo Top. (I'm test driving Shaw's version. I eat it; it's still fake ice cream. Real ice cream is indulgent and has corresponding calories.)
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    I eat five dark chocolate hershey kisses really slowly. Works for me.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    I buy gelato and weigh out a small amount. Maybe half a serving at most. Add some chopped up berries or peaches (weighed, of course).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,971 Member
    There's a local shop that makes chocolates with coconut oil, hypoallergenic recipes, and organic ingredients. All that alt-health virtue stuff is beside the point: I think they're the best chocolates I've ever eaten, with the only other thing even close being some chocolate truffles I got in a shop in NOLA on Jackson Square many years before Katrina.

They come in many flavors, in a cup/patty of similar size to a peanut butter cup (some filled, some entirely chocolate). The owner developed them as a sort of gift/tribute to his new wife, a woman with diverse food allergies, then his friends insisted he should sell them.

Coconut oil melts below body temperature, so they have to be refrigerated for storage. When you eat them, they melt in your mouth, in a flood of decadent deliciousness and rich flavor. Not cheap. But only about 80 calories. Or so they claim. ;)

Oh MI chocolates. St. Johns, Michigan.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Skinny cow ice cream bars, sugar free jello pudding, mini size candy bars, halo top (or similar) ice cream. Pepperidge Farms Milano cookies (2 for 120 calories). Those are just a few of the things I’ll have regularly for dessert that typically fit into my calories for the day.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Dark chocolate caramel with sea salt Dove Promises.
    38 calories for 1 piece.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,246 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2018
    3-2-1 cake... :)

Blend:
    1 box angel food cake mix with
    1 box ANY other flavor cake mix

I keep this in a Ziploc bag in my pantry. When I want a little cake:

In a cup, mix:
    3 tbs of the aforementioned blend
    2 tbs of water
    1 minute in the microwave.

Sometimes I will top with whipped cream or a teaspoon of jelly.

Edited to add that one cup is about 100 calories (without a topping)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,246 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Also, Halo Top (I just saw @kshama2001's post that mentioned it). Totally delicious. I think my favorite is the pancakes and waffles one, less than 300 calories for the whole pint.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    I had pavlova for the first time recently and was surprised at how low calorie it was when I looked it up later...it tasted very indulgent! I love fruit though.

Sometimes I have just one cookie or something. Last night I had a single jaffa cake for just under 50 calories. I wouldn't consider that a full dessert but it was nice to have a little taste of something sweet after a long day!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    I save 100 calories per day for a "chocolate dessert". Once I get going I am pretty good to say on top of that. These days I have a PC frozen "smoothie" bar. Often I will have two pieces of high quality chocolate (weighed). On good streaks I can make a good but not overly done cookie or brownie (see Amy's healthy baking) and eat a small portion within my calories. But this can be a bit of a tease and I have time I cannot safely limit.

Another thing I have done is to make my own protein bars so they are also my "lunch dessert". because I make my own I can lower the calories.