its so complicated

Options
weebo1980
weebo1980 Posts: 56 Member
why why why is it so complicated you read all about the different diets and there is something bad about all of them, even low carb or no carb is not healthy, how do you get it right its so stressful. I am on the autistic spectrum and am a very fussy eatter at the best of times, and reading things on the internet are just making things harder there seems to be "bad" stuff in everything! i am finding it very very difficult

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,561 Member
    Options
    No food is bad, really. Eat what you like and whatever keeps you full. If weightloss is your goal then eat less of that and you will lose weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy just means you are giving your body enough calories to fuel your activity level and getting enough nutrients.
    It does not mean you have to eat a particular list of food or a particular diet unless you have a health condition that requires you do so. There are many ways of eating to meet your nutritional needs.

https://mynutrition.wsu.edu/nutrition-basics/

I'd stop reading about diets and stressing about it. Look at what you are really eating, your goals and what works for you personally in your life.

If you are getting the appropriate amount of calories then basically just eat what you like. Then try getting enough protein and some fruits and vegetables every day. If you log your food with MFP the default goals can guide you on how much protein, carbs and fat to eat. You can see over time if you are low or high in some area and make small adjustments.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You don't need to follow any named diet unless that diet is medically necessary for you. "Diets" that have a name are often just efforts to sell you something. Barring any medical conditions, no particular diet is inherently better or worse for you than any other.

If you want to lose weight, then all you must do is consistently eat fewer calories than you burn, making sure that you get at least the minimum number of net calories per day (1200 for women, 1500 for men). For weight loss, it does not matter what foods those calories come from, or whether you follow a named diet or not. No need to make it more complicated.

Once you're used to eating within your calorie goal, you can think about macros. Even then, though, it doesn't need to be complicated. While I was losing weight, and now that I am in maintenance, the only macro I have paid attention to is protein. Everyone needs enough protein, though you may choose to eat more than the default goal if you're actively trying to build muscle. Some people also find that protein, fat, and/or fiber help them feel full. Carb intake is largely a matter of personal preference, unless your doctor has told you to restrict carbs.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Internet information is really untrustworthy. Can you see a registered dietician? They would be able to work with you and get to know your specific needs as well as what you like and don't like.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat a bit less, move a bit more. it really is that simple.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It can be complicated but you need to stick with something that resonates with you. You can't listen to all opinions about everything.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There will be naysayers for every specific diet. If you have found a diet that you wish to try to help with weight loss or with managing some aspects of being on the spectrum, and it is a generally healthy diet, I say go for it. No diet is perfect, but some may be better for a person, and their situation, than others.

My teen son is on the spectrum. He avoids gluten (as I am celiac and it affects his emotional stability), as well as really limits dairy except for an occasional GF pizza. He also avoids all tree nuts and most seeds due to allergies. To help him with his thinking and mood, he stays to a low to moderate carb diet, but his foods are largely whole foods that are minimally processed or unrefined. Lots of fruit, veggies and meat.

There are down sides to the way he eats (GF, mostly dairy free, lower to moderate carb, nut free, and basically primal or clean if you want to label his way of eating) but mostly there are upsides. He feels calmer, can concentrate better, and is able to handle his school much better than if we did not follow a planned diet. Eating less and moving more is good for staying slim and fit (he is that too) but he eats in the way that is best for him.

If you have found something that you think might work well for your health. I encourage you to go for it. If you are eating an optimal (or at least good) diet for your health and life already, then counting calories, or cutting back a bit, may be all you need to do to manage your weight.

TBH, I have found that thinking about starting, and the expected deprivation, is the worst part. Sure, the first few days are hard as you break and make new food habits, but the discomfort does not last too long.

To make it easier, you might want to ease into the changes. We took a week it two to find GF foods that worked best for my son, and switched most things one by one before going completely GF. When cutting back on dairy, we used a few dairy alternatives at times before he decided that some alternatives he would rather skip. He used to have yogurt every lunch. He tried dairy free soy or coconut yogurts but did not like them so he let that go. Now he has tomato and beans for almost every lunch instead.

Consider trying small changes so it is not overwhelming. Substitute a new food for an old one, or just cut back your portion size by 10-25% or so if hoping to lose weight.

Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    weebo1980 wrote: »
    why why why is it so complicated you read all about the different diets and there is something bad about all of them, even low carb or no carb is not healthy, how do you get it right its so stressful. I am on the autistic spectrum and am a very fussy eatter at the best of times, and reading things on the internet are just making things harder there seems to be "bad" stuff in everything! i am finding it very very difficult

Its simple. Dont follow a diet. Follow a very simple CICO life style.

Ya, eating less and moving more works very well for me.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Don't follow a "diet". Instead watch your carbs and your calories and portion control. I know how you feel - my husband and I met with a dietician and I came home feeling so overwhelmed! But the truth is - think a small amount of meat, and a vegetable or two. That is the formula. Rely on herbs and spice mixes to add flavor. I sometimes add a little bit of hot pepper sauce (Asian) to kick it up. Marinate your meats in Italian dressing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss goes, just eat the appropriate level of calories. MFP can help you with that.

As far as nutritional needs go - no need to follow any specific diet. (presuming you have no health issues)

If you have no idea where to start, look at the official guidelines from an objective non selling source - eg the government guidelines - and treat them as a guide not something to be adhered to with military precision