Live Below The Line- 31 Day Challenge

Options
124»

Replies

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Foodfavor wrote: »
    My mom used to say, "It's not really charity if you feel the need to tell people about it."

This can be a tricky situation as some may want to spread awareness and use their experience as an example, while others are looking for a pat on the back for doing a good deed. Not saying OP falls into either catagory.

Completely understand where you're coming from, true charity is because you feel the need, you are unmotivated by selfish means. However, I would not have done this experiment, decided to help my community in a small way or signed up to volunteer at Food Share, if someone had not talked about it. I followed a lot of people's blogs and YouTube messages of this same challenge and it sparked a tiny flame in me. In America, nurses are community based, I'm just trying to pay respect to the many nurses before me, the ones that earned the respect of our profession. I love what I do and I want to share that with anyone and everyone.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It's tough losing a loved one. Sorry for your loss.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. Hugs
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Aw so sorry for yours and Sam's loss.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    {{{{{{{{{{ hugs }}}}}}}}}}
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Day 4

Breakfast- see diary for serving sizes
    Oats
    Carrot
    Peanuts butter
    Banana
    Stevia
    Cinnamon
    Total $0.32

Can I ask what you're paying for bananas and peanut butter? In the places I shop, bananas are 59 cents a pound, and at roughly 5 to 6 ounces per banana (unpeeled -- you have to pay for the peel, even though you don't eat it :smile: ) that's already 20 cents. I don't buy the cheapest peanut butter, but I'm pretty sure even the cheap ones are at least 10 cents an ounce at a "normal" sale price (i.e., not some once-a-year, valid only with $50 purchase, sale price). So that's 30 cents, leaving only 2 cents for all of the other ingredients.

Absolutely, thanks for asking. So I buy my peanut butter at Winco, they have a peanut grinder there, so you can buy whatever amount you'd like for $2.02/ lb. So it comes out to $0.13 per 30g serving, or 2 Tbsp, I measured to make sure. My bananas are $1.18 for 3 lbs from Sam's club, I bought bunches with 10 bananas making them $0.12 per. I shopped at those two stores for this month's groceries.

Thanks. That's a good price for bananas. Are you pro-rating the Sam's club membership into your grocery costs?

ETA: Sorry, I typed this before I read to the end and saw that you were, understandably, ending early due to dealing with the loss of your husband's grandfather. Thank you for taking the time and effort to circle back and report on what you learned. I'm glad you still see it as a positive experience.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss and that you're ending the experiment early, but you're right to focus on other things just now. I've really enjoyed following along and learning with you - it certainly sounds like you've learned some valuable lessons from this challenge so thanks very much for sharing your journey with us.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Re: spinach - I'm growing Malabar spinach for the first time this summer. Been meaning to do it for years, but never saw seedlings at the garden center so bought seeds: https://parkseed.com/red-stem-malabar-spinach-seeds/p/05660-PK-P1/

I'm in Massachusetts and next year will start them indoors b/c they took a long time to get going and the frost will kill them.

They love the heat!

They work just like spinach cooked. The texture is a little different raw, but my brother likes it raw (I had better germination than I expected and gave a few plants to my Mom.)

I haven't looked up the iron content - I'm anemic and need to supplement in addition to eating foods with iron in order to stay in Low Normal.

It's too hot for me to go outside and take pictures; these are from Park's:

05660-PK-P1_1.jpg

05660-pk-p1.jpg
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Re: spinach - I'm growing Malabar spinach for the first time this summer. Been meaning to do it for years, but never saw seedlings at the garden center so bought seeds: https://parkseed.com/red-stem-malabar-spinach-seeds/p/05660-PK-P1/

I'm in Massachusetts and next year will start them indoors b/c they took a long time to get going and the frost will kill them.

They love the heat!

They work just like spinach cooked. The texture is a little different raw, but my brother likes it raw (I had better germination than I expected and gave a few plants to my Mom.)

I haven't looked up the iron content - I'm anemic and need to supplement in addition to eating foods with iron in order to stay in Low Normal.

It's too hot for me to go outside and take pictures; these are from Park's:

05660-PK-P1_1.jpg

05660-pk-p1.jpg

This is awesome, im going to give it a shot, sounds like it would a great addition to the garden. It cool where I am, but literally 32 would be the the coldest maybe once or twice a year. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Spinach is actually over rated as an iron source -good propaganda from Popeye for kids to eat veggies but high source of iron - no, not really.
    Nevertheless, nutritional - and good to grow your own veggies. :)

Thanks for sharing your challenge OP and for your list of conclusions - yes it was certainly interesting to me.

But I understand why you are calling it a day earlier than planned <3