First time trying.

Options
Hi everyone,

First time in here and I’m also trying first time at no sugar to meet my goals. Reason since I’m a lightly active person.
Trying to get better at everything bit by bit

Replies

• alatham7891
    alatham7891 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No sugar, as in... what? Why?
    To lose weight, you have to reduce calorie intake. Calories come in the form of fat, protein, carbs (and alcohol).
    That is something you do, not try. Trying is for things you're not sure you can do.
    To be fair - to cut out sugar completely, is impossible, so you'll have to settle for "try". But again, why? If you want to be better, aim for something possible, and worthwhile.
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Hurt my back. So I’m lightly active and at a sedentary job.
    Correct you are: I’m trying.... to cut sugar like artificial, and starches that convert to sugar when eaten. Friend tried 2 months. She’s lost 4 lbs in 2 months with no exercise. Can I do it? Will it work for me? No idea to any of my questions yet.
    But I’ll soon find out.
    Any thoughts?
  • carmy7777
    carmy7777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi i am new
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Hi,
    How long ?
    Any success?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Correct you are: I’m trying.... to cut sugar like artificial, and starches that convert to sugar when eaten. Friend tried 2 months. She’s lost 4 lbs in 2 months with no exercise. Can I do it? Will it work for me? No idea to any of my questions yet.
    But I’ll soon find out.
    Any thoughts?
    Figure out some "why"s. It starts with verifying information. What are reliable sources?
    Artificial sugar isn't sugar.
    Starch isn't sugar. If you're going to cut out starches, too, you can just as well cut out fat, and protein, because your body converts that to sugar too.
    4 pounds in 8 weeks sound very doable even without exercise.
    No method just works for you. A fuctional method works for you if you make it work.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Ok thanks!
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    But I’ll soon find out.
    Any thoughts?

Honestly sugar or no sugar, you have to cut calories. If you choose to do that by cutting out excess sugar, be mindful that you still have to hit a caloric deficit or you will not lose fat. If extra sugar is what's putting your calories over-maintenance levels, then cutting it out will work provided that you don't replace it with other calories. If you're over maintenance and excessive sugar isn't the reason, then you can cut it out of your diet till you're heart is content and you will still not lose.

It's 100% about calorie count. Burn more than you consume. You don't have to exercise to accomplish this, just eat fewer calories than your body needs to function. Good luck.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Hi hippysprout,

Thank you for your reply, a little more info on what I’m doing.

Yes, my excess calories are all on sugar based things. I’m hoping reducing sugar would help reduce calories therefore weight. Ie: honey, coconut sugar to sweeten teas etc.

Was told to cut down on starches ie: potatoes, rice, breads.
    For now reducing with hopes it will help as well. While maintaining my protein to not lose muscle either. Fats I’m reasonable and all good fats I’m keeping.

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    One thing you should look at is your carbohydrates - carbohydrates become sugar in your body. One quick way is to cut anything with white flour or white starch. Things like white pasta, white bread, potatoes. Switch to whole wheat. Avoid starchy vegetables like corn, peas - and fill up on leafy green vegetables, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower)m green beans. Some people think it is all about calories, and they are important; but carbohydrates are also very important to weight loss. Instead of pasta, try spaghetti squash or any of the spiral cut vegetables. Also, instead of red meat, try chicken and seafood. The goal should be a healthy diet that is sustainable, will allow you to eat out. While I understand that you are not crazy about exercise (me either) but 30 minutes of walking a day is a good habit.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Hi elsie6hickman,

Thanks for the reply,

I hurt my back but it’s temporary. Reason for my low activity hopefully that will change soon. Since I have a sedentary job.

Very informative about the carbs. I will start being mindful on that as well.

Did yesterday’s carb count and ouch daily been 100 g.
    Today’s lunch alone was 29 g carbs and 540 cal.

Always had a sweet tooth, and high carb eating so it’s going to be extremely hard. But had zero sugars,starches. Just healthy eating today.

The meds I’m on now are weight gaining unfortunately. So need to get better sooner than later.

But it’s a bad day for moving wise. Meaning walking outside zero. I’ll try tomorrow.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    One thing you should look at is your carbohydrates - carbohydrates become sugar in your body. One quick way is to cut anything with white flour or white starch. Things like white pasta, white bread, potatoes. Switch to whole wheat. Avoid starchy vegetables like corn, peas - and fill up on leafy green vegetables, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower)m green beans. Some people think it is all about calories, and they are important; but carbohydrates are also very important to weight loss. Instead of pasta, try spaghetti squash or any of the spiral cut vegetables. Also, instead of red meat, try chicken and seafood.
    Please ignore this.
    The goal should be a healthy diet that is sustainable, will allow you to eat out. While I understand that you are not crazy about exercise (me either) but 30 minutes of walking a day is a good habit.
    This is good advice.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Thank you!