Does walking help?

Options
Hello all, I am male, 5'9" 246lb age 43, I want to take this to this forum and ask if walking on flat surface road/sidewalk and/or walking on the treadmill 3.5MPH for 45 min a day help lose weight? is one better than the other?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    saundts wrote: »
    Hello all, I am male, 5'9" 246lb age 43, I want to take this to this forum and ask if walking on flat surface road/sidewalk and/or walking on the treadmill 3.5MPH for 45 min a day help lose weight? is one better than the other?

Yes, if you are logging accurately and consistently at a deficit, absolutely! Walking can buy you a few calories and just generally make you feel better, loosen everything up, clear your head, etc. I find I make better eating decisions on days I get my walks in. Just make sure you are logging all your food and sticking to your deficit because that's where the real progress is made. Good luck :drinker:
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Personally, I walk outside. But you do you and if walking on the treadmill works, do it.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    In good weather I enjoy walking outdoors. But right now the heat makes that unbearable for me. My finances don’t allow me access to a treadmill. So I walk indoors. I either walk laps around the kitchen and living room while listening to podcasts, or I do a walk aerobic DVD workout. Walking is great exercise and accessible to almost everyone. It’s a great way to burn some extra calories and is good for fitness.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    However you want to do it, just walk. We all differ on what works best for us. When I started losing weight the first time (I've fallen off the wagon before), my children were too young for me to take them with me outside, so I invested in a treadmill. Now that I've walked on it so long, it's what I prefer. I can walk at a known rate and incline, no matter what the weather outside is. But some people really prefer being outside in the fresh air, looking at scenery, etc., and I totally understand that. I'd do it, too, if I could only find an extension cord long enough to bring my big fan with me for a couple of miles.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    100% yes!

In fact I'd say that making sure I walked enough over the course of my day had a significantly bigger impact that dedicated strenuous exercise.

In my experience the food and daily activity has made up about 90% of my weight loss with dedicated exercise (usually cycling) contributing a the final 10%.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If the walking increases your activity level so you burn more calories than you take in then it will help you with weight loss. If you ignore your calorie intake side then it may not help with weight loss much to walk more.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I walk daily - sometimes on the coast path - trail type walking - sometimes on flat paths but I usually try and include a hill, sometimes on along country roads whatever I fancy and weather dictates. It helps because it provides a better deficit or gives me more calories to eat and because it is good for my mood! I only average an hour daily but it is so good for me and I get grumpy if weather too horrible outside to go. Personally I would find walking on a treadmill boring. Any activity that I can build into my otherwise very sedentary life has got to be a plus.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Any movement will help as long as you eat less calories than your body is burning.
    Walking is great!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I refused to do any exercise except walking for the first 6 months I was losing weight. It's superb.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I think walking goes father than just calories burned. It helps keep the body fit. It can actually be a muscle building exercise. Try walking in soft sand! You legs will get massive! It can, I say can, in some people, help modulate appetite. It also what many of our ancestors would have done. It helps with bone density. Weight bearing exercise. It's also something most people can do cheaply.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes. Walking is great. I wear a fitbit and on days where I get lots of steps, my calorie burn is significantly higher than days where I only walk a few thousand steps.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Everything counts, even shuffling around in your house! I use my Fitbit, averaging around 12000 steps per day, most of it is pacing/stepping in time to the music I have playing, and school runs. I’ve noticed the scale definitely drops faster when I clock in a decent amount of steps compared to when I don’t.
  • CharleyRose1236
    CharleyRose1236 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I walk everywhere and found that it took a little while to notice the difference but you will start to notice it.

Personally I find walking outside nicer than on a treadmill but it depends on what you find works for you :smiley: