Work outs that you actually enjoy?

Options
I’m a stay at home mom of 6 kids plus I watch 2 other toddlers part time! So you can say I’m a prettt busy mom!
I really only have a few hours to myself everyday and sometimes only a hour. I need to do something that I enjoy doing but I can do at home.
I try to go to yoga every Saturday morning and I walk a lot! I try for at least 45 mins of walking outside a day.
But I would like to amp up my workouts a bit and add something twice a week but everything I try feels like such a chore.
I’ve tried some strength training but I don’t really know what I’m doing and I hate the elliptical.
Anybody have any YouTube videos they love or anything they love?

Replies

• TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I used to use the Nike Training Club app. It free and has heaps of workouts on it with videos so it’s very easy to use.

Plus it has workouts for different levels, goals and equipment.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i loved insanity, i really enjoyed P90X3 - Tony Horton is a bit crazy, and i eventually fell in love with running.

doing some strength training is always a good idea. there are plenty of different plans:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Long 30 mile bike rides at interval pace for the hilly sections and full power efforts on long straights.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Do you listen to music or podcasts while you do your thing? I really enjoy working out but take that away and I'd want to quit too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Cycling ... outdoors preferable, but these days I'm doing Zwift indoors.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    My favourite workout session is bicep & back day.

I loathe cardio (although I force myself to run at least 3k twice a week on top of playing football).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy workouts. Workouts are a means to an end. There are activities I enjoy (cycling, hiking, trail running, etc).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Riding a bike, swimming, cross country skiing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love running and hiking. i love aerial yoga and aerial hoop. i love spinning poi and i used to like hooping but i stopped for no reason in particular.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My favorite, that I don't consider "exercise", but rather a fun activity, is hiking. But it's probably not gonna happen for you with 6-8 kids in tow LOL. I also like to run, and I like yoga. I do some strength training but I wouldn't necessarily say I *love* that but I know it's good for me to do. I'm having a hard time thinking of what you can do with 6 or 8 kids though, how do you have any time to do anything? There are a lot of videos on youtube that you can do. Lots of bodyweight type workouts. You could also buy some dumbbells or something and do a strength/weight lifting routine at home.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'd suggest more yoga first.
    There are thousands of free yoga videos on Youtube. Rigorous. Relaxing. 10-minutes long to 2-hours long. Kundalini to Ashtanga.
    Otherwise, running gives you the best bang for your buck, I'd say.
    When I stayed home with my boys, and hardly had a free minute, I used to put on my running clothes before I went to pick up my wife from work.
    She could have just driven herself, but we devised this strategy so i could get some exercise.
    Then, when I got to her workplace, I'd get out of the car and hand her the keys. She would drive home, with the boys, and I would run home.
    It was about 4-5 miles, depending on my route, so I got home in about the amount of time it took her to get home herself, get everyone unloaded from the car, get inside and hear their stories about their day. So dinner was not even late.
    It worked really well. Maybe you can't drive a significant other to work, but I'll bet there are other errands or trips or times that you could use in a similar way.
    Good luck.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    ....... maybe I'm weird, but I like a long, steep, soul-crushing climb on a road bike.

also, lifting weights & suffering in the gym is kinda fun.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I love yoga, riding my bike and callisthenics. GMB fitness is good for body weight and flexibility fitness.
  • VolsG8rH8r
    VolsG8rH8r Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like running.. it's a great work out
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I run. I have a 16 yr old daughter, so stress is just a normal part of life. I run to destress. When I run, it's just me and my feet. It's my meditation.
  • justinewillcutyou
    justinewillcutyou Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I love to ride my bicycle! I go on a beautiful train near my house and log about ten miles once a week. Yogaglo.com is also great if you’re enjoying yoga. You can also try some body weight circuits.
  • Farrell73
    Farrell73 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have stationary cycling bike, like the kind they have in classes. I do a cycling video from YouTube. I love it!
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you have a back yard start a garden. The kids love it and it can really be a workout if you get into the weeding and hilling. Both of my kids loved gardening with me. And they were more favorable to eating veggies that they grew. :-)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    katphi1618 wrote: »
    If you have a back yard start a garden. The kids love it and it can really be a workout if you get into the weeding and hilling. Both of my kids loved gardening with me. And they were more favorable to eating veggies that they grew. :-)

Interesting, neither of my kids will have anything to do with the tomatoes and cucumbers from my garden lol