Are carbs really the enemy?

Options
124»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I don't know who actually thinks cereal is nutritious in general (there are exceptions of course).

Also, sugar isn't bad. Sugar can become bad if it's combined with you overeating. If you're eating at a caloric deficit, at maintenance or even lean bulking (provided that your not lean bulking at a heavy body fat %), sugar and carbs won't cause anything. It only becomes an issue when you eat so much sugar and/or carbs that your calories go way above your maintenance on a regular basis.

In context it is. One 30gram portion of my preferred cereal gives me 30% of my iron RDA and it's a good snack when I want something crunchy and slightly sweet. It has other micros, too, but iron is my main concern.
  • alexa0ne
    alexa0ne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No, it's not, but it is the person itself. I think we always have control over what we eat or consume in order to stay fit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    johnw83 wrote: »
    the only time carbs are no good is when your doing a body building comp or ready for a muay thai fight or boxing fight

Carbs are great for bodybuilders....
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    the only time carbs are no good is when your doing a body building comp or ready for a muay thai fight or boxing fight

I could be wrong, but I THINK they’re talking about cutting carbs before competition day in order to dry out. You know, cut down on bloating in order for your muscle definition to really pop.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    My "getting older could be the enemy" remark was very tongue in cheek, I don't like the alternative either, too many friends lost along the way, 68, also cancer background, long may it stay away. Cheers, to a healthy century no need to stop at 92.

My resolve has been to overcome issues which dogged me from a much young age and I am. Lets hope the medical profession will learn even more about our expectation of our bodies in this modern day and age, then agree on the very best way to treat them reducing chronic illness's. The gauntlet seems to be coming down on the side of enjoying much less added sugar, which is far from popular.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I could be wrong, but I THINK they’re talking about cutting carbs before competition day in order to dry out. You know, cut down on bloating in order for your muscle definition to really pop.

Losing water is more than just carb depletion. Most competitors carb up on show day, or in the days leading up to comps. My peak weeks generally had me increasing carbs to show day. You want carbs to get water in to the muscles so they push out against the skin and look more defined.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    in a word: no.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    From my perspective, there's nothing inherently good or bad about carbs. There's no minimum amount required for maintaining health, as there is in protein and fat, so the choice is completely individual preference. My own preference is moderate carb - protein and fiber are satiating for me, and I like carby food, so this works for me. Others can be perfectly healthy eating very low carb or very high carb, as long as they are getting in their nutritional requirements.

If you look around at the bs put out as research in the diet industry, you will find equally compelling reasons to demonize carbs, fat, meat, gluten - the list goes on. Choosing what works best for you involves experimentation and a basic understanding of calorie management and nutrition - all the other hype is just a money grab. It's hard enough to lose, maintain or gain weight without cutting out foods that make the process sustainable for the individual.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Losing water is more than just carb depletion. Most competitors carb up on show day, or in the days leading up to comps. My peak weeks generally had me increasing carbs to show day. You want carbs to get water in to the muscles so they push out against the skin and look more defined.

Interesting! I kept reading about competitors cutting bread/pasta etc in order to help them look tighter on stage. Interesting to hear the flip. Thanks for the new info!
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Short answer: no

Long answer: no, they are not the enemy
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi All,

Reminder to keep the debate focused on what is being said, not the person saying it. If you don't like a post feel free to report it and we will take care of the problem. Calling people out just escalates the drama, and ruins the fun. If you don't know how to report - hit the flag button, press report, fill out the little box and hit send.

Thanks,

4legs
    MFP moderator
This discussion has been closed.