Shoes for Insanity

Hey All,

This is my first post (woo hoo!). Have a quick question for those of you all who are currently doing insanity or have already completed the program. What shoes did you all find were the best? I'm in week three right now, have been wearing a pair of avia running shoes that I don't think have seen the light since I played softball years ago; they seem fine but just wondering if there is something better out there, as I'd rather spend $$ on good shoes than get hurt down the road. I have noticed a little bit of ankle pain, during my cardio recovery days. It never bothers me while doing the actual workouts; I am a longtime horseback rider which takes a toll on your knees/ankles, which I am attributing it too - it's nothing bad at all, just don't want it to progress and get worse!

Thanks in advance! :) Insanity peeps, feel free to add me as a friend!

-A

Replies

• teamryan90
    teamryan90 Posts: 359 Member
    I used running shoes for the first 2 weeks and was having pain in my knees and shins. I bought myself a decent pair of cross trainers and no pain since. It made a huge difference.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    running shoes are made to be light and support a forward, linear motion and tend to have very little support for lateral movement. Not what you are doing at all with Insanity. I am using Nike Free cross trainers and love them for Insanity. They are just meh out on pavement - even just walking the dog, and don't have enough rigid side to side support for playing tennis that I get from tennis sneakers.

I suggest trying on a bunch of different cross trainers in the store and go through some of the Insanity moves with them on in the store (I do not care about looking goofy in public) to see what feels good on you and is giving you good support and cushioning.
  • deeohcee
    deeohcee Posts: 15 Member
    running shoes are made to be light and support a forward, linear motion and tend to have very little support for lateral movement. Not what you are doing at all with Insanity. I am using Nike Free cross trainers and love them for Insanity. They are just meh out on pavement - even just walking the dog, and don't have enough rigid side to side support for playing tennis that I get from tennis sneakers.

I suggest trying on a bunch of different cross trainers in the store and go through some of the Insanity moves with them on in the store (I do not care about looking goofy in public) to see what feels good on you and is giving you good support and cushioning.

I'm using Nike free cross trainers as well. I used running shoes for a while but that was a bad idea. My feet were not happy.
  • amina_a10
    amina_a10 Posts: 75 Member
    Thanks, all. Sounds like Nike Cross Trainers it will be; planning on going and trying lots tomorrow or Friday! This is totally new territory to me as until now I've done sports that required cleats, and then was lifting in converse. Thanks!
  • gemflower
    gemflower Posts: 95 Member
    So I guess it is "bad" that i do insanity in my bear feet? I workout on the carpet and everything feels weird with shoes on (former gymnast) so i just dont wear them.