Dessert Everyday

Options
Is it reasonable to have dessert everyday if it fits into your calories?

I really do believe in the whole CICO thing and I usually want to have something sweet after dinner (not fruit, chocolate or ice cream), but I have this internal debate with myself constantly that I shouldn't because eating ice cream and chocolate are counter productive to losing weight.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every day and I've been in weight-maintenance for many years..

Depends on what I call "dessert," though. It isn't a pint of B&J every single day. It's more along the lines of Greek yogurt and fruit with chopped nuts.

*Some* days it IS that pint of Cherry Garcia. Or a package of Nutter Butters. Just not every day.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If I want something, I'll have it. I generally don't want to have something sweet after a meal though. When I was a kid, dessert was never assumed. We just didn't always have anything. Somehow as we all got older it became something that we always had at the end of a meal. It's something I'm now trying to change for myself.

But in answer to your question: Yes. If it fits, then yes. Personally I've always found plain icecream surprisingly good for calories:volume ratio. And I do just love a good vanilla icecream.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I do it. I make sure it fits into my calories and I've hit my protein goal first.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do it. every day.
    and this time around 16lbs/16wks give or take.

i just fit it into my calorie allotment and if i don't have enough, i go for a run. then the dessert tastes even better :smile:
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I have a dessert with both lunch and dinner everyday. Yes it is a sacrifice in calories but it keeps me happy. I have either a 50cal jell-o pudding or a home made chocolate protein bar with lunch most days. And a 80-100 cal dessert after dinner (usually two pieces of lindt choco or a PC frozen smoothie bar).

I plan my meals the day before or in the morning to make it work. It means my meals can be a bit more basic (anyone curious can see my diary)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have 2-3 fudgesickles after dinner every night. My only concern is my nutritional balance if my dessert is a high percentage of my daily (1200) calories. They fit in, and I love them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If they fit in your calorie goal then eat it. I have some form of either dessert or junk type food probably every day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I lost the bulk of my 55 pounds while eating ice cream most nights. I just had to keep the portions down to a size that fit into my goals.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Counterintuitive, perhaps. But not counterproductive.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I usually have something sweet at night. Generally I go for a smoothie (I have a pumpkin pie or apple pie smoothie I really like) but sometimes I'll get ice cream (my favorite is the Luigi's Italian Ice, favorite flavor being cherry).
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have ten squares of dairy milk chocolate every evening in front of the telly after the kids have gone to bed. 266 calories I make sure to prelog every day so I’ve got the calories for it. I’ve lost over 80lbs and entered maintenance a few weeks ago.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I have something sweet every night, it could be yogurt, honey and fruit or a frozen yogurt bar or hot tea with cream and a couple squares of dark chocolate. Depends on what I’m in the mood for and how many calories I want to spend on it that day.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll stop beating myself up now :)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My usual dessert is Greek or Icelandic yogurt with a couple of spoonfuls of Polaner All Fruit jam and a couple of spoonfuls of chopped toasted nuts or granola for crunch. Greek yogurt with dark chocolate grated into it and defrosted frozen cherries is another great option. There are frozen treats out there that are low calorie, too.

I save calories for dessert by replacing lunch with 1-2 light snacks during the day.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I have a small block of good quality chocolate after dinner, or Aldi has different own brand chocolate wafers that come in at around 100-135kcal. I always have either. Or good quality cheese.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Is it reasonable to have dessert everyday if it fits into your calories?

I really do believe in the whole CICO thing and I usually want to have something sweet after dinner (not fruit, chocolate or ice cream), but I have this internal debate with myself constantly that I shouldn't because eating ice cream and chocolate are counter productive to losing weight.

Why NOT fruit, chocolate or ice cream? If it fits within your calories, and you've eaten a variety of nutrient dense foods throughout the day (and by the way - fruit, chocolate and ice cream also offer some nutrients as well) - then there's no reason to avoid these in particular.

Feeling guilty about continuing to enjoy food while losing weight and achieving your goals is definitely not a productive mindset. Better to embrace it now, for long term success.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Keebler's Pecan Sandies! 170 calories for two! So when I pre-log my meals, I can usually work in ONE cookie into my 1200 calories. I usually have it at lunch with my homemade healthy protein shake. I am teaching myself that the first cookie always tastes better than the second one. Go ahead and enjoy dessert! Life is short, eat dessert first!