Exercise calories

Options
I’ve been on my MFP for almost 3 years and eat half my exercise calories. I want more calories though, so I was thinking of eating all of exercise calories.... thoughts?
Also, I’m only at losing half pound right now. When I first started I was all for losing 2 pounds a week, now I can’t do it. My summer so far has been”screw it” and I haven’t done as well as I want. I was hoping having a few more calories would give me the motivation to keep at it. Help!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? If it's not much then 2 pounds a week would be too aggressive. But the other thing is if you do start eating more calories back, you'd probably negate your deficit altogether. Make sure you're logging everything as accurately as possible.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I’ve logged for almost 1150 days, I log every little bit. At one point on MFP I lost almost 35 pounds. I know I can’t do 2 pounds at this point, I’m to close to goal, I just want more food. . I exercise to eat sometimes.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to eating at what your maintenance will be at your goal weight?

Are your maintenance calories at goal weight enough to satisfy you long term? If not you may have to readjust your goal weight so you get sufficient calories.

Have you adjusted your calorie goal to your current weight and to 0.5 lbs a week, or is this just a gradual weight loss decline on the initial calorie goal that you were given?

If you are eating only 50%of your exercise cals back, and are losing at 0.5lbs a week (250 a day deficit), you will lose even slower by eating more of them.

Cheers, h.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If you are losing at 1/2 pound a week while currently only eating back half of your exercise calories how much do you think you will lose eating all of them back? At the moment your deficit is around 250 a day.
    My suggestion is to play around with your macros to find the right ratios to help you feel fullest because even eating at maintenance won't be giving you too many extra calories. Finding that right balance is very individual but the first place I'd start is reducing processed carbs (white bread, cake, cookies etc) and added sugar and increasing protein as protein is what most find the best of satiety. If this doesn't work then increasing either fiber, fat, whole grains or starch is the way to go. Maybe you find you are a volume eater. If this is the case then add plenty of low calorie foods. It is not uncommon for volume eaters to consume at least 10 serves of vegetables a day.
  • keodell1966
    Options
    To be honest, I’ve lost nothing this summer, because i said screw it. Lol
    But before that, yes I’ve lost at 1/2 lb. a week, same amount of exercise.
    I log everything even tho I’m messing up. I know what I need to do, just don’t feel like doing it. 😬
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    OK, when you are ready do it.

Cheers, h.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    During your 1150 days of logging, have you taken full diet breaks like this https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html? It sounds like that’s what you’re doing this summer, in essence, without intentionally eating at maintenance. It is a good idea periodically.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Have you considered ramping up your exercise for more calories? Sometimes, I walk an extra mile or two if I know I'm going to have a treat later. (I burn 320 calories for half an hour of walking and try not to eat more than 160 of that back, but if I walk for a full hour, I can eat up to 320 calories back.)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Hey, keep in mind: as you lose weight your body needs less calories. Thus the lighter you are the slower the weight loss, and the lighter you are the more careful you have to be with logging, double checking entries and making sure you use a food scale for everything. Thus eating more might get you out of a deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with a diet break, then go back to your deficit.
  • keodell1966
    Options
    Even though I logged all this time, mentally I started again yesterday.
    Maybe the break was what I needed. Thanks for advice everyone!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Those last 15 pounds took me nearly a year to lose, because hungry.

I was logging everything, exercising 3-5 days per week, making all my own meals. It's a bit of a slog, but worth it once I got here. :)

Keep going.