Gym renovations and cybernetic periodization

My gym is undergoing renovations and I recently found out where they are moving the heavy equipment will have no mirrors (squat racks, deadlifts)

Is it worth it for me to change my program to avoid heavy lifts while they don't have any mirrors? I just feel uncomfortable doing these lifts without being able to check my form.

Further, anyone have any success during a bulk at building muscle using cybernetic periodization? I've been making real progress on my program, but due to the fact that a lot of the equipment will be off limits, I feel like being able to create my workouts on the fly might be a bit less stressful during this. Any advice?

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Is it possible for you to get a gym buddy who can watch your form and advise if you don't quite have something right?

In terms of cybernetic periodisation, I'm not personally for it. I've had times when equipment at my gym has been out of order so I find something else to use but ensure I go just as hard. Even on the days I feel off, I'll vary things in terms of the actual exercise but still make sure I go as heavy as I can.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Is it possible for you to get a gym buddy who can watch your form and advise if you don't quite have something right?

In terms of cybernetic periodisation, I'm not personally for it. I've had times when equipment at my gym has been out of order so I find something else to use but ensure I go just as hard. Even on the days I feel off, I'll vary things in terms of the actual exercise but still make sure I go as heavy as I can.

Thanks for your response. I was thinking of getting a foldable mirror or bringing a laptop to use as a mirror, or getting a trainer to watch my form at the gym.

I wish one day I could just feel my workouts, but I'm not going to be able to motivate myself I think. I do know the cable machine and the Smith machine will not be available, so I'll just have to replace them with similar exercises. My workouts will just be longer because I'll have to change them during my workout at first
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I like the idea of having a mirror for watching form. For example, it was weird doing squats when I closed my eyes (like I have repeatedly stated, I like to experiment). I did the same for dead lifts (did it in front of a mirror). That is how things are configured in the gym where I used to do those exercises.

I have never heard of cybernetic periodization! I am going to look that up.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Okay....so, very generically, auto-regulation with respect to a lift.

So, if I am feeling strong af, then I hit it hard (maybe harder than planned).

But if I am an just not feeling it today (could be a ton of reasons....did not sleep well, had a fight with my girl friend, worked a super taxing day, did not eat well, found out some bad news about a loved one....whatever...) then I do the minimum or move to another exercise.

Depends on what your goals are....that would be my answer. And, what that particular exercise is.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I personally find a mirror distracting. Especially because straight on viewpoint is difficult to tell form anyway. Side view is much better. If I have concerns, I'll video myself. I have to do this when training bodyweight exercises like levers because I have terrible proprioception. Either that or I'm comfortable enough with the regulars to yell out "Tell me when I'm horizontal!!" So you might ask the person working out next to you to check your form on your first set. Most people will gladly do it.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Thanks for your input!!
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    edited August 2018
    To each their own, but I prefer filming over using a mirror. Partly because keeping my head up to look in the mirror is not ideal for my low bar squat or deadlift, partly because I don't see anything particularly useful from the front, and partly because i find that movement directly in front of me is distracting.

And then the final part is for instagram likes.

EDIT: So to bring it back to your issue, I wouldn't let a lack of mirrors keep me from training, I would just film my sets.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I try not to look in the mirror, keeping your head up to look at the mirror during deadlifts and such is bad form. Looking to the side to check your form from the side is even worse. It personally wouldn't bother me. I found earlier I did better when I wasn't looking in the mirror. When I do lunges, I do better if I look at my working leg than if I look at myself in the mirror.

Mirrors are nice for checking yourself out between exercises though. I like them for side planks too, I can just see myself in the mirror if my form is good and I can see if my body is in the straight line it needs to be. They have their place.