Workout schedule- 5 days on, 2 days off?

Options
swimmchick87
swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone done this? I am a teacher who has done a fine job of exercising 5 days per week for about the past month- very easy because I simply work out as soon as I wake up. Problem is, in the summer that could be noon, and I have to go back to work next week. I've never been a morning workout person, but we are starting later/ending later this year and I also am taking on after school tutoring, so I feel that if working out doesn't happen right away it might not happen as I will want to be "done" by the time I finally get home.

Two days per week, Wed. and Thurs., I have to be at school 45 minutes earlier for meetings. My thought is that on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, I can workout first thing in the morning, meaning I'd be getting up at the same time all 5 work days and hopefully better sticking to my routine. On Saturday and Sunday I'll just workout as soon as I happen to wake up, just like I do now.

Is it bad to do 5 days in a row and take 2 days off, rather than splitting up the rest days? I'm a beginner, so I'm kind of worried about the 5 days in a row, but I really want to set myself up for success with consistency of working out as soon as I wake up rather than waiting until late in the day when I can come up with 1,000 excuses not to do it. What do you think of this plan?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what you are actually doing people can't really advise you.
    "Workout" and "exercise" encompass a huge range of duration, intensity and type.

For example my particular exercise today is going to be about 4hrs long, I wouldn't want to do that five consecutive days!

Consecutive days aren't necessarily "bad" (but could be...).
    I mostly train 7 days a week but with a variety of duration, intensity and type of exercise.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    5/2 is fine, but I agree with sijomial - it all depends on the type of exercise done in those 5 days. I power walked 14 miles yesterday and won't do that again for about a week, maybe longer, depending on how I feel. I will still workout 6 days a week though.

I mix it up with different intensities of body weight exercises and cardio. Tonight will be more upper body muscle strength and some bleacher sprints to balance the long distance yesterday.

l prefer variety, but some like regimented routines. I wouldn't recommend doing the exact same thing for 5 days in a row, unless it's low intensity, low effort, like going for a light jog.

I'm no expert, just sharing what works for me.

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Completely depends on what you're doing but 5/2 is fine as long as you're resting your muscles appropriately. For example, if you've trained upper body on the Monday, do lower body on Tuesday to give your upper body that day to recover.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I run around 3-5 miles each day 5 days a week and then rest on the weekend. It's been working out really well for me, perfect amount of recovery time and by the next week I feel totally refreshed. It really depends on the person, but for me I know I need my recovery days. It's also nice being able to sleep in on the weekend, lounge around all day and do nothing and just destress...
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    As long as there's variety to the workout you should be fine with a 5/2. I generally do 4 high intensity sessions, one medium intensity workout, and one very low intensity (mat pilates or yoga, which I consider an "active rest" day) workout every week. It's been working really well for me, but I have had little breaks here and there when travelling that may contribute to an easier recovery. Also, stretching and rolling your muscles regularly will help a lot too for most exercise plans.

M- Medium
    T- High
    W- High
    TH - Low/Active Rest
    F - High
    Sat - High
    Sun - Rest
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Like others said, nothing wrong with it. I do a 5/2 as well. Right now I'm back to my intense training program (as opposed to my slightly more relaxed program) and every day is fairly intense, BUT, lifting days (with some steady state cardio) work different muscle groups, and my muscle endurance days are full body, but usually body weight or much lighter weights.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If 5 days in a row feels like too much, take Sunday off or do a lighter workout, then you'll only have 2 in a row.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher. During the school year, I'm up on Thursdays (it's deadlift day) by 530am, at the gym by 6am, leave gym by 8am to be at work by 830. Dad puts the kids on the bus on this day.

On Mondays, I leave school at 4 and at gym by 430pm. I do shoulders this day; it takes about an hour. Kids stay in daycare until Tae Kwan Do (which is in the same shopping center).

On Sat and Sun, I'm up by 7 and at gym by 8am. These are bench and squat days. I'm usually done by 1030am. I'm only lifting 4 days a week during the school year. During the summer, I've added an extra leg day.

You just have to be flexible (maybe 1 early morning and 1 evening workout)...and you havw to make it work on the weekends.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I work at a school. I get up at 5:20 and do a workout video every morning. 2-3 days/ week I use the weight room after school. The other day or two I do a short run, walk, or maybe yoga. Friday evenings I go straight home and spend some time with hubs. Saturday and Sunday I also workout in the morning. Saturday is usually a video with cardio and dumbbells, Sunday can be yoga and a run or some type of cardio video.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I do weights on Mon, Wed and Fri, but sometimes I skip Wed depending on how I'm feeling. My job can be quite intense so I occasionally choose to rest instead on that day. My weight sessions are 30 - 45 minutes.

Tues and Thurs are 30 min cardio sessions.

Sat and Sun are rest :)
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I'm doing a home video program, so it's a different workout every day.