Why am I not sore?

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Howdy,
I've got a question about exercise and soreness! When I used to work out even for just say 30 minutes I would be sore for weeks after.. I would push through it and was always in a state of soreness despite even taking rest days etc. eventually the pain led me to stop working out. This time around I've been running 25 miles a week (on 5 days off 2) and I haven't had a single sore day. The only thing I've really changed is that now I'm eating the right amount of protein, I used to only eat 10grams a day and now I eat about 60 grams. Could that have been the answer to why I was always sore? Or am I just slacking off and need to be running harder on my runs? My runs feel very easy, never out of breath and my muscles aren't tired... I'm thinking of increasing distance again next week. If you're not sore is that an indicator that you aren't putting in enough effort? Maybe I shouldn't even be questioning this and just roll with it ? 😆
Thanks!

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    No soreness? Sweet!

The more I run, the less sore I get from each run. At lease, until I really push it, by running hills or doing intervals.

If you want to test your "soreness sensitivity," try doing 30-50 squats. That always gets me, even without weights!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Howdy,
    I've got a question about exercise and soreness! When I used to work out even for just say 30 minutes I would be sore for weeks after.. I would push through it and was always in a state of soreness despite even taking rest days etc. eventually the pain led me to stop working out. This time around I've been running 25 miles a week (on 5 days off 2) and I haven't had a single sore day. The only thing I've really changed is that now I'm eating the right amount of protein, I used to only eat 10grams a day and now I eat about 60 grams. Could that have been the answer to why I was always sore? Or am I just slacking off and need to be running harder on my runs? My runs feel very easy, never out of breath and my muscles aren't tired... I'm thinking of increasing distance again next week. If you're not sore is that an indicator that you aren't putting in enough effort? Maybe I shouldn't even be questioning this and just roll with it ? 😆
    Thanks!

The head coach at my tri club's philosophy is that each workout should leave you wanting more.

Being sore after a run, especially for days, indicates that you overdid it. Most of your runs should be at a conversational pace and should leave you feeling a little fatigued but not outright sore. It sounds like you're doing it right this time around.

• FL_Hiker
    Options
    Howdy,
    Thanks!

The head coach at my tri club's philosophy is that each workout should leave you wanting more.

Being sore after a run, especially for days, indicates that you overdid it. Most of your runs should be at a conversational pace and should leave you feeling a little fatigued but not outright sore. It sounds like you're doing it right this time around.

Nice!!! That definetly answers my questions! Thanks 😊
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    No soreness? Sweet!

The more I run, the less sore I get from each run. At lease, until I really push it, by running hills or doing intervals.

If you want to test your "soreness sensitivity," try doing 30-50 squats. That always gets me, even without weights!

Hey now let's not go crazy 😆!!!
  • GainsLevelIncreased
    GainsLevelIncreased Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Up the intensity (less rest between sets) or increase weight or reps. Heavier rep range (4-6) atleast2-3 minutes rest time between sets. Higher reps (8-12) try only resting 60-90 seconds even could go for 30-45 seconds.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Your body has adapted as it should and your fitness level is higher than before so You shouldn't be perpetually sore forever, and you shouldn't seek it out unless you want to stop running for awhile.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Not sure how true it is, but I have read that low protein intake (below minimum RDI) can impact recovery from exercise. 10 grams a day is definitely below the RDI.

From my personal trainer book:
    “The primary uses for amino acids in the body are anabolic processes, such as building muscle mass.”
    “Having a sufficient supply of amino acids enhances protein synthesis for muscle building during anaerobic activities and for muscle recovery and repair afterwards.”

Personally I only get DOMS the first week or two into a new exercise routine, but no soreness after that. It doesn’t mean my workouts aren’t effective.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I suspect the low protein has something to do with it. It sounds like you raised your protein from ridiculously low to just kind of low, especially for someone running that much. Is there a reason you are avoiding protein?
  • FL_Hiker
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I suspect the low protein has something to do with it. It sounds like you raised your protein from ridiculously low to just kind of low, especially for someone running that much. Is there a reason you are avoiding protein?

I struggle even to get 60 grams most days... I just don't like protein. I'm not a picky person in general.. I love all foods and will try new things but definitely grew up eating mostly veggies, fruits, carbs. My familys meals growing up had a huge emphasis on "girls should eat salads" and "boys eat the meat". Which is really messed up now I know! I'm not a huge fan of meats (not vegetarian I just never ate much of it), beans, yogurts, nuts, etc. I used to swim 7 hours a day/7 days a week + ran track and cross country for several hours daily as well so I am starting to suspect that pain was from over doing it and not enough fuel... I just never realized how abnormal that was, I thought exercise was supposed to feel like that soreness forever. I wasn't sure if it was the protein issue though or if I was just not working out hard enough now, I used to work out too much harder than I am now. 25 miles a week feels like a piece of cake compared to those old workouts. I didn't know if the purpose of working out meant feeling sore= good workout, vs. not sore= you slacked off.
    I wish I had more guidance from my coaches on nutrition when I was younger... I am just now learning all of these things :(.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    Up the intensity (less rest between sets) or increase weight or reps. Heavier rep range (4-6) atleast2-3 minutes rest time between sets. Higher reps (8-12) try only resting 60-90 seconds even could go for 30-45 seconds.

I don't lift weights....
  • FL_Hiker
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Not sure how true it is, but I have read that low protein intake (below minimum RDI) can impact recovery from exercise. 10 grams a day is definitely below the RDI.

From my personal trainer book:
    “The primary uses for amino acids in the body are anabolic processes, such as building muscle mass.”
    “Having a sufficient supply of amino acids enhances protein synthesis for muscle building during anaerobic activities and for muscle recovery and repair afterwards.”

Personally I only get DOMS the first week or two into a new exercise routine, but no soreness after that. It doesn’t mean my workouts aren’t effective.

Oh wow thank you!!! Very interesting to know, and I'm glad that it doesn't mean your workouts aren't effective :) ! That really answers my question.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I struggle even to get 60 grams most days... I just don't like protein. I'm not a picky person in general.. I love all foods and will try new things but definitely grew up eating mostly veggies, fruits, carbs. My familys meals growing up had a huge emphasis on "girls should eat salads" and "boys eat the meat". Which is really messed up now I know! I'm not a huge fan of meats (not vegetarian I just never ate much of it), beans, yogurts, nuts, etc. I used to swim 7 hours a day/7 days a week + ran track and cross country for several hours daily as well so I am starting to suspect that pain was from over doing it and not enough fuel... I just never realized how abnormal that was, I thought exercise was supposed to feel like that soreness forever. I wasn't sure if it was the protein issue though or if I was just not working out hard enough now, I used to work out too much harder than I am now. 25 miles a week feels like a piece of cake compared to those old workouts. I didn't know if the purpose of working out meant feeling sore= good workout, vs. not sore= you slacked off.
    I wish I had more guidance from my coaches on nutrition when I was younger... I am just now learning all of these things :(.

What about a protein shake?
    Or using protein powder in things like pancakes and muffins.
  • FL_Hiker
    edited August 2018
    Options

What about a protein shake?
    Or using protein powder in things like pancakes and muffins.

I don't like the shakes but that's what i've been trying to do, I noticed they do make me feel a lot better :). And at least it is easier than eating a steak, I can plug my nose and chug it quick :D .I really like the substitute alternatives like protein pasta, I can't even tell the difference!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You don't like steak :o i didn't even know that was possible for a non-vegetarian LOL
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I agree it was probably the low protein intake and overdoing the exercise. Soreness is not a good indicator of how "effective" your workout was. I usually only get sore the first time I do a new exercise if I'm working a muscle I don't typically work, and then after that wears off in a few days, I don't get sore anymore after that.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    You don't like steak :o i didn't even know that was possible for a non-vegetarian LOL

I know I know 😆! My parents always cooked steak and they aren't the best cooks in the world but it was always really chewy and dry... I've actually never bothered ordering one at a restaurant because of those past experiences. Maybe they just made it wrong? I've always liked poultry but the recommended serving seems daunting. I can eat about 2-3 oz of chicken and that's it. I just recently started liking fish too because of my husband. I never had it before I met him.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

I know I know 😆! My parents always cooked steak and they aren't the best cooks in the world but it was always really chewy and dry... I've actually never bothered ordering one at a restaurant because of those past experiences. Maybe they just made it wrong? I've always liked poultry but the recommended serving seems daunting. I can eat about 2-3 oz of chicken and that's it. I just recently started liking fish too because of my husband. I never had it before I met him.

Chewy and dry is definitely made wrong. A lot of people overcook steak.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    look up what not getting enough protein can really do to your body. you will most likely change your mind once you see the issues it can cause you.10g is way too little.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    look up what not getting enough protein can really do to your body. you will most likely change your mind once you see the issues it can cause you.10g is way too little.

Yes......
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

hope thats a woo as in woohoo. too little protein IS harmful to your health