How deep are your push-ups?

Options
2»

Replies

• JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder impingement and took off any type of pressing for about 6 months. I slowly started added pushup and dips back in. I was only going to parallel, but then the program I'm on required sets with all the way to the floor (which btw I read the new army standard is to the floor and hands up). After 5 sets of those, my arm was hurting the next day, so I decided not to do that anymore.

Impingement sucks. I had surgery 3 years ago to clean out my shoulder & re-sect the clavicle. It was so worth it. Now my push ups are heart rate monitor to the ground. Chest to the ground might break my HRT & I don't want that.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    As far as I can get safely.

Been doing them almost daily about 2 months as part of my handstand practice.

vrcd03aryvnm.jpeg
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm another nose-to-the-floor person. Unless the cat decides to "help", in which case I'm a nose-to-the-cat person.
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    High jacking this thread slightly but I can't do a proper push up for love nor money; how's to best way to start?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I go boob to ground, which is chest to ground I guess, but I think I have an advantage. My elbows go out though, do I need to change that?
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    High jacking this thread slightly but I can't do a proper push up for love nor money; how's to best way to start?

Start by doing pushups from your knees & work your way up. I'm sure there are programs online that can help.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    JBApplebee wrote: »

Start by doing pushups from your knees & work your way up. I'm sure there are programs online that can help.
    Better yet, start with incline push-ups. Push-ups from the knees fail to engage the leg muscles, which will severely limit your progress.
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    JBApplebee wrote: »

Better yet, start with incline push-ups. Push-ups from the knees fail to engage the leg muscles, which will severely limit your progress.

Thank you! I'll try this!
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    'til me belly touches the mat. One day my chest will get there first :-)