New to Calories

Options
I've never counted calories before and have started off with a 1500 calorie allowance, I don't know if that too much to little? I would like to loose 20lb - 25lb I don't really have time frame in mind, I am going to an event the beginning of November so that would be so bad, if the time frame works.
Any tips, suggestions etc.... are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    1500 is probably fine for a woman. But what's your height and weight, and what did you set your weekly weightloss rate to? And remember that 1500 calories will be a lot more than 1500 calories if you don't log your food intake correctly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    roseland25 wrote: »
    I've never counted calories before and have started off with a 1500 calorie allowance, I don't know if that too much to little? I would like to loose 20lb - 25lb I don't really have time frame in mind, I am going to an event the beginning of November so that would be so bad, if the time frame works.
    Any tips, suggestions etc.... are greatly appreciated.

With 20-25lbs to lose, you should be aiming to lose @ 1 lb per week. If that's what you chose and MFP gave you 1500 cals, I'm sure it's a fine place to start. If you chose a more aggressive weekly goal, you might want to back it down a little.

All calculators can only give you an estimate, so you start logging accurately and consistently, give it 6-8 weeks, and if you are losing too fast or too slow, adjust accordingly.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each board, and good luck!