Has Anyone Here Lost Weight While Pregnant?

Options
There's so much conflicting information on this but it's a concern.

Right now I am obese and I know my weight puts the child at risk. I'm only 6 weeks along (I know! So soon to be worrying but I do!) I see a doctor in a few days and will of course be consulting him about it but the internet seems to indicate that you CAN safely lose weight while pregnant IF you are obese. Of course you shouldn't consume less than 1900 calories a day though. The information is conflicting though! Some sources say go for it (but stay within 1900 calories a day). Others say ABSOLUTELY NOT (and suggest maintaining current weight instead).

Mostly I'm looking for anyone who has actually done this. Was the baby healthy? How did it turn out? Etc.

I'm not looking to lose huge amounts by any means but I don't think gaining would be beneficial for myself or baby at this point and at VERY least would LOVE to maintain where I am or even lose a few (and I DO mean a few) but of course don't want to do anything to put the baby at risk.

So... anybody? Haha.

Replies

• batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am obviously not a doctor but common sense is telling me that dieting while pregnant could cause far more harm to a baby than being Obese. You have to make a baby... That requires extra calories. You should be eating more (and healthier) food while pregnant.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while pregnant (it wasn't intentional). As long as the baby gains correctly and you're eating, it's not an issue. I wouldn't attempt to diet, just continue making healthier choices and exercise (maintain or slightly increase, don't throw yourself into a new program). Just remember you want MORE fat than normal, especially with Omega 3. Important for developing neurons (especially during the early development).

Also remember if you remain at your starting weight at the doctor's office and the baby is growing correctly, *you* are losing weight. It's the baby and the fluid keeping the scale from moving.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    With the guidance of your doctor it is possible to loose weight when pregnant. My second granddaughter has managed to do this. It has been a question of eating making best use of her nutrition, I'm not up on the small print. Your doctor will be more than keen to help you give your child the very best of starts you can manage. All the very best from a nearly, twice times gt grandmother. This baby is due in days.
  • SpyLuna
    SpyLuna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've always read and been told that the baby will take what it needs from your body regardless. That being said, as long as your are eating sufficiently and keeping healthy with exercise, you won't deprive yourself or your baby even though you may lose a few pounds. With my first, I was very thin, and gained about 50+ pounds. With my second, I lost 15 in the first trimester and only gained 10 more through the rest of the pregnancy. Since I was already overweight the doctor never seemed to worry about my health or the baby.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit when I was pregnant with my first child. I would recommend you do nothing more than eating healthy and not in excess. I was 174 before I got pregnant and weighed 173.25 just before I went into labour. I had a doctor who was fanatical about my weight. She weighed me before inducing labour which is why I know exactly what I weighed. My son weighed 9 lbs. 2 oz. when he was delivered. I think I lost about 25 or 30 pounds in total. I ate a reasonable amount of food while I was pregnant but didn't cut drastically. One sandwich for lunch an egg and a piece of toast for breakfast etc. Dinner was again something healthy balanced and reasonable. Speak with your doc about your plans and allow him/her to guide you. Good luck and congratulations!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, speak to your doctor first to see if they're okay with it. At the very least eat at maintenance right now.
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! It's good to hear real life experiences as opposed to conflicting internet advice. Haha.

My big concern is I don't want to gain MORE for sure. So even if the doc clears me for maintaining current weight I will be happy. I don't want to put the baby at ANY risk but also don't think extra weight would be healthy for it or me.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I started my first pregnancy overweight, and I tried to eat healthy meals, not trying to lose, but just eating my veggies and laying off the sugar. I gained 20 lbs., which meant that, once she was born and my body went back to normal mode, I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight. It took about a month. But I was breastfeeding at the time, so I think I probably lost a little weight, but I couldn't tell for the lactation weight. I kept up the eating healthy thing while breastfeeding but didn't have the opportunity to weigh myself before I got pregnant with #2 and began the cycle all over again. I developed hypothyroidism around the time I stopped breastfeeding the second time, so...

I don't think it would hurt at all, this early in your pregnancy, to just eat healthy foods and just don't overeat. A baby in the first trimester doesn't require a whole lot of calories, just make sure that you're meeting your (and his or her) nutritional needs. Honestly, though I'm not a doctor, I don't see the harm in just eating healthy foods to satisfaction through your entire pregnancy, as long as you're covering your nutritional needs. You'll probably end up having lost a bit of weight when it's all over, but your objective while you're pregnant should be to make sure your little one is getting her nutrients.
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did. I had gestational diabetes, diet controlled with the assistance of my OB and a dietician he had me consult. Weightloss happened as a side effect. I only counted calories to make sure I ate enough because cutting that many carbs from my diet made me undereat if I didn't keep count. I lost 10 pounds, swole up with water retention in the last weeks of my pregnancy, so I technically had a weight gain of 5 pounds when I delivered.

When I left the hospital I was 30 pounds less than when I walked in, 25 pounds less than when I got pregnant. Unfortunately, total lack of sleep plus working from home while also caring for a baby made me go it back when I turned to sugar to keep me going.

The key element in my story is that I didn't set out to lose weight. I walked a lot and ate fresh, nutritious food/home cooked meals.

Ask your doctor/OB for his or her opinion. Eat good food, for both you and the baby. Don't restrict your calories. Be active (within reason! ). All of these things will be better for the baby than losing a couple pounds. Weightloss may happen as a result but that should not be the goal.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    It was suggested I gain no more than 15-20lb in pregnancy
    In reality I was rather Ill and instead lost 23lb before giving birth at 25 weeks
    I don't recommend that

Set mfp to maintenance for now and eat healthily and speak to your midwife/OB when you go for your next appointment about what they recommend for you personally
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would presume losing weight while pregnant (at a VERY slow, controlled pace) would be healthy because I KNOW being obese isn't good for the baby or for me. I'm hopeful the doctor will help guide me in what steps to take to remain healthy and NOT gain even more weight during this period (and thus raise the risk level even more).

Thanks for all the advice ladies!
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am 5ft tall and was considered obese when I got pregnant with my son my doctor didn't want me to gain no more then 15-20 pounds. she told me to eat an extra 300-500 calories daily I didn't really know what that meant because at the time I wasn't calorie counting. I just ate when i was hungry and tried to be mindful and then something I started the day I found out I was pregnant I took our new puppy (got my oldest daughter a puppy a few days before I found out I was pregnant) on a 30 minute walk and I did that nearly everyday of my pregnancy and I only gained 16lbs and with my healthy son weighing almost 8lbs at birth by the time I left the hospital I weighed less then I did when I first got pregnant

so it's definitely doable!! Congratulations!!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    http://www.zipmilk.org/ let professionals guide you through the pregnancy and after wards..ins usually pays.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    http://www.zipmilk.org/ let professionals guide you through the pregnancy and after wards..ins usually pays.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I was overweight before my 3rd pregnancy (starting weight on here, I returned to it after his birth, 156lbs). I only gained 13lbs the entire pregnancy. Diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 27 weeks, controlled it with diet and did not gain a single pound after 27 weeks.