Thigh shape change?

Options
I've lost pretty much on track and have been working out mainly by running intervals (and speed walking up an incline) with other cardio thrown in; only one weight session so far as I have just started with a personal trainer and I do weights with him.

I have carried weight in my thighs all throughout my twenties and have noticed a change in how they look. They are a lot narrower from the front and from above, but seem to have expanded ever so slightly toward the front. Is there a muscle there I am working and that is expanding a bit? I feel like I am not gaining fat there but I am a bit nervous. There is still fat on my thighs but I walked ten miles in a dress the other day with zero chub rub so I feel like I am making progress! So is this shape change expected/normal?

I didn't think to measure my thighs when I started.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You don't say whether you're actively trying to lose weight or not, but if you're consistently in a calorie deficit, then you should not be gaining fat.

The muscles on the front of your thigh are collectively the quadriceps or "quads." You could be losing fat in your thighs, and/or developing your quads or other muscles. While you can't control where your body takes fat from, you can control where you develop muscle, and your running and walking may be helping you with that. If you're concerned that you're developing some muscles more than others, I would work with your personal trainer to target the muscle groups that you'd like to work on.

As a runner, I wouldn't necessarily expect to have tiny thighs (sorry). I reached my goal weight, run about 20-30 miles a week, and still have more fat than I'd like on my thighs. It's just not where my body took the fat from while I was losing. However, I've also got powerful thigh muscles, so I'm happy about that.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight, but no expectations of tiny thighs!! I never had them even as a teenager. I don't have any muscles in particular to work on, I just want to lose weight in general, so my pt will help with a range of things.

Thank you for the information!