Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Metformin for PCOS

Has anyone had success with this? I started 500mg ER once a day. I would love to hear success stories!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    What kind of success are you hoping to achieve with metformin? Weight loss, a regular cycle, change in some blood work, pregnancy, something else?
  • PCOS_VICTOR
    PCOS_VICTOR Posts: 703 Member
    Weightloss, regular cycles and hopefully pregnancy
  • PCOS_VICTOR
    PCOS_VICTOR Posts: 703 Member
    Thanks for the info! I’m watching my calories and carb intake. Hoping this will aid in the weightloss efforts 😁
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Thanks for the info! I’m watching my calories and carb intake. Hoping this will aid in the weightloss efforts 😁

Ensuring that you're consistently in a calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight. It doesn't matter for weight loss whether those calories come from carbs or not. You should restrict carbs if your doctor has told you to do that, or if you just prefer to eat fewer carbs, but it's not required. The only thing that's required for weight loss is consistently eating fewer calories than your body burns.
  • pamplemousse21
    pamplemousse21 Posts: 20 Member
    I’m just exploring remedying PCOS but one of my friends lost 30 lbs in the first month. Granted, with proper diet and exercise, but nonetheless!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,832 Member
    If you're on metformin then keep an eye on your B12 levels. it limits absorption, which can lead to serious nerve damage. Btw, taking oral supplements don't really help but only prevent the diagnosis of a deficiency. One needs to be at least 4 months off all B12 supplements to get meaningful blood results.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I took Metformin....... Just gave me a bad stomach
    I took clomid and fell pregnant on the first cycle. I was told I couldn't have any more kids. My period would go missing for 6 months at a time

In 2014 I got alot more serious in sorting my weight which had crept up to 387lb since the birth of my daughter. She was very sick, eventually diagnosed with disabilities so I was low on my priority list

Anywho I lost 11 stone and fell pregnant. I unfortunately miscarried at 12 weeks but knew then it was a possibility. I took up running to deal with my feelings and lost another stone and fell pregnant again
    It was my weight coupled with the PCOS that was preventing me from conceiving

I now have 2 children that I'm very lucky to be mummy to