Low carb high protein diet

Options
So next week I want to do a low carb and high protein diet. If you have any tips, any would be awesome, especially meal ideas 😂

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Why? Also the cost can convert protein into glucose when needed if protein is high enough (gluconeogenesis)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Make sure you increase your sodium intake. Lower carbs will lower insulin, and insulin is largely responsible for water and electrolyte retention by the kidneys. You'll need to replace the lost sodium with 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day (2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt). This is especially true if you go "crazy keto" with it. ;) If you start getting headaches, fatigue, brain fog, BM issues, or muscle weakness or spasms, then you know you need a lot more.

Protein Power is a LCHP book. You might find more tips and ideas there.

Go in being aware that carbs and fat are the primary fuels for people. If you end up fatigued, you might need more - protein might not cut it for you. Be aware that it can often take a couple of months to start relying on fat for energy (fat adapted) so you might have a dip in sport performance in areas that require power for a few weeks.

As for meal plans, I would go mostly with meats and veggies - lean meats if you want less fat or red meats, dairy and eggs if you want the fat. Once protein intake is well over 200+ g, it will drive a bit more glucose production which might be something to consider if very low carbs / glucose is a goal (aka higher ketones).

Good luck.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Ghxstzone wrote: »
    So next week I want to do a low carb and high protein diet. If you have any tips, any would be awesome, especially meal ideas 😂

How low carb and how high protein?

As I know from another thread, you don't have much weight to lose and need to focus on your fitness for the next several months. Extreme plans are probably not the best idea.

Are you looking to try this style of eating for a week to see if you like it? I don't eat high protein, but did work to increase my protein for satiaty. In addition to a lot of protein choices being pricier per calorie, going much higher protein all at once can cause digestive issues in some people.
  • chitownwriter
    chitownwriter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was also recently told by my dietician to start a high protein low carb and everything else. I’m a bit overwhelmed. Joining MFP does allow me to see I’m not hitting the target (120 g) I’m averaging 50-60. I just started using protein shakes, and I admit I don’t love them. I’m going to buy some protein powder this weekend. To add into soups salads and smoothies. Any other ideas? Or resources? I’ll be fiollowing this Board too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Ghxstzone wrote: »

Depends on how low carb and how high protein. I do low to moderate carbs when I cut so I still eat grains and starches...usually with breakfast and/or lunch, but dinner is usually a protein and a bunch of veg.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I was also recently told by my dietician to start a high protein low carb and everything else. I’m a bit overwhelmed. Joining MFP does allow me to see I’m not hitting the target (120 g) I’m averaging 50-60. I just started using protein shakes, and I admit I don’t love them. I’m going to buy some protein powder this weekend. To add into soups salads and smoothies. Any other ideas? Or resources? I’ll be fiollowing this Board too.

How many calories are you supposed to be eating? 120g of protein is only 480 calories. The rest of your calories will come from carbs and fats.

Can you ask the dietician for help with a meal plan? If not, try prelogging your meals (do a whole day's worth) and start by adding a protein source to each meal. Eggs/egg whites, lean meat/fish, dairy (especially yoghurt, cottage cheese), tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans/legumes, higher protein grains (like quinoa) etc. If you still struggle, look in to protein powders, protein bars, protein chips to help boost your intake.

You could make smoothies to incorporate protein powder but I wouldn't be putting powder in to soup or salad. There are many ways to use powder though - I add it to natural yoghurt to add flavour and sweetness. I also make protein pancakes and waffles - they're delicious!

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    @Ghxstzone, are you coming back to clarify what you mean so people can give you better advice?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @Ghxstzone, are you coming back to clarify what you mean so people can give you better advice?

Well, in another thread she was asking about which fruits and veggies are low carb, and I think she said she's trying to get @ 70 carbs if I remember right.