Plateau vs calorie deficit?

Options
I am 30, and trying to get my life in order. I started at 422lb, my goal is health - not really a number, but I'll say 225lb for posterity. I know I have an amazing amount of weight to lose, and I'm quite proud of my 25lb loss so far, but the scales have stalled and I'm seriously concerned that I'm not consuming ENOUGH calories even though I'm more than satisfied and am not hungry most of the time. I have been taking in 1600 calls/day, but according to BMR and the equations out there I should be at some crazy number like 3500! I've been eating 3 meals and 2 snacks most of the time. I'm committed, and nutritionally educated, and I have been eating 80% of my meals from home and trying to follow a more whole food approach as opposed to protein bars and slim fast (ew.) not a fan of the chemical plunge. (I'm a nurse.) I can't justify to myself that fried chicken is necessary to reach my calorie goals for the day...but neither is stuffing myself to an uncomfortable level to meet an increased calorie requirement. Im aiming for Macros : carb - 45%, Fat -30%, and Protein - 25%. Ive been working out approx 1 hour 2x week, but am going to try incorporating more walking into my routine. Suggestions?? And if I need to be eating more, how to incorporate that many calories without going overboard on fat, salt, and sugar?

Replies

• Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You'll hit plateaus. Sometimes they last days, weeks, or even a month or more. Have you thought about calorie confusion? Maybe someone on here could tell you more about it, but I've heard of a lot of people breaking their plateau with it.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You know, at 422 I'd think you don't need to stick to the TDEE-20% rule. But if you look at eating for the future you, that might be a good route for you to go. Set your sights on a reasonable maintenance calorie goal - maybe 2500 calories daily and start there. Keep the 45-30-25 macros that you're eating. If you focus on getting 30% from protein at 2500 calories, I guarantee you won't be going way over on fat, salt and sugar. Besides, good fats are awesome for increasing calories - add olive oil to salads/veggies and add avocado or nut butters. Yum!

But do indulge in some of your wants. That's the only way you'll stick this thing out long enough to get where you're going. You already have a good head on your shoulders by the sounds of things.

If you want to, though, you could probably just continue what you're doing and eventually see the scale keep moving. Usually you just have to stick it out a few weeks and it will keep going. I'd recommend eating some more though.
  • Madamlovejoy
    Madamlovejoy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm already eating a whole small avocado most days with lunch, and cook with olive oil - but it's hard to get your mindset away from " don't add fat or salt to your food." I really appreciate the advice, I just wish there was a little more finite of an equation for people who have more than 20 vanity pounds to lose!
  • grumpadon
    Options
    you don't have to increase your calories to the 3500. but do increase them. make small changes until you get thru your plateau. any time you make changes. keep them small so you aren't wondering what it was that worked. for me. it was also increasing my calories and tracking my macros. also, remember to drink lots of water. you retain water weight when you don't drink water. good luck