I turn into a psycho "snacker" after dinner - HELP!

Options
wyeth84
wyeth84 Posts: 35 Member
I carefully watch my macros and do "so well" during the day. Then most nights all hell breaks loose! What are some snacks you have found to help curb the after dinner sweet tooth? (more like T-rex fangs in my case :'( ) I could definitely use a boost of protein/fats while at it... I don't do well with whey based protein shakes (which seemed like the optimal win win option).
Heeeeeeelp a sista in need

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    How large is your deficit?

Are you limiting too many of the foods you enjoy during the day?

If you want a protein shake, but don't do well with whey, have you tried any of the other many options for protein powder?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    wyeth84 wrote: »
    I carefully watch my macros and do "so well" during the day. Then most nights all hell breaks loose! What are some snacks you have found to help curb the after dinner sweet tooth? (more like T-rex fangs in my case :'( ) I could definitely use a boost of protein/fats while at it... I don't do well with whey based protein shakes (which seemed like the optimal win win option).

Save some calories for an evening snack?

Peanut butter is always good
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    All natural peanut butter smothered over a nice big banana is my go to after dinner snack. Sweet, satisfying, and provides some fats to help keep cravings at bay :)
  • roxskow
    roxskow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eliminate triggers from the house, then you can't eat them.
    Redistribute your calories/macros so you have more available at night.
    Meat/cheese platter, veggies, SF jello/pudding.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love munching on animal crackers after dinner as I can make them last a long time and one serving is 16 crackers for 120 cals. I love them because they are just sweet enough to count as dessert! For extra protein or fat try dipping them in PB2/PBfit.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I try and do things other than watch tv- video games, have company over, homework, reading. Its hard, I also have a snack monster that comes out at night, and sometimes she's uncontrollable! Planning for it and leaving yourself extra calories helps.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've been chugging a bottle of water right before bed. It actually helps.
  • kmeyer6979
    kmeyer6979 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Try to only keep healthy snacks in the house. Usually less likely to leave the house. I tend to have the same issue where I get hungry late night. Typically I grab grapes to fill me a bit. And then I stay busy till bedtime.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I eat really small breakfast and lunch so that by the time dinner rolls around I've got 700 or so calories left. That usually leaves me a little bit for snacks after dinner.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    save up some calories. Skip breakfast so you can have dessert at night. Find lower calorie options. Portion your dessert out, put the rest of it away, go to the couch (or wherever) and eat it slowly.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth after dinner (though I tend to eat dinner on the later side...8pm usually). Makes me at least think twice before eating/mindlessly snacking/giving into cravings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Sounds like you're not getting enough calories, protein, and fat, which does lead to sugar cravings for me as well. Eat more during the day and you'll be less likely to want to go nuts at night.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You can create extra meals in the diary. I have an 'after dinner snack' diary option. If I eat something before I go to bed it goes at that meal. Usually I want something small, a Quaker Chewy granola bar is my go to snack when I want one. Depending on the flavor it is about 100 calories.
  • wyeth84
    Options
    I combined several pieces of advice last night and I "kept" my banana (from breakfast) and my Kind bar (from afternoon snack) for after dinner and I was a good girl, for once.
    I also left more calories for dinner to have a more filling dinner, which I guess also helped.
    Watching TV is a HUGE trigger for me, I'd literally eat ANYTHING in my house while on my couch before bed.

I realize my snacking is not real hunger, is more like sweet tooth/boredom etc...
  • wyeth84
    Options
    kmeyer6979 wrote: »

Try to only keep healthy snacks in the house. Usually less likely to leave the house. I tend to have the same issue where I get hungry late night. Typically I grab grapes to fill me a bit. And then I stay busy till bedtime.

Well, "luckily" I have polished anything unhealthy during the last few nights of madness. I wont buy I won't buy I won't buy ... LOL
  • wyeth84
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    You can create extra meals in the diary. I have an 'after dinner snack' diary option. If I eat something before I go to bed it goes at that meal. Usually I want something small, a Quaker Chewy granola bar is my go to snack when I want one. Depending on the flavor it is about 100 calories.

Great suggestion! Usually I combine all my snacks into the snacks tab, which ends up being by far my biggest "meal" of the day.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm also a nighttime snacker so I just roll with it. I eat less calories during the day and mentally plan out my evening snacks. Psychologically I know they are there, it feels like I'm indulging even when it was calculated, etc. I've done the best with losing weight doing this because cutting that out is the #1 way I feel deprived
  • gothicbees
    gothicbees Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry after dinner then eat! By eliminating "trigger" foods, the urge to eat/overeat them increases as a result of deprivation. Once your body realizes that it can have whatever it wants, whenever it wants, you'll no longer feel such an intense turmoil over night time snacking and you might even find you don't want a snack!
  • Mackdaddymack
    Mackdaddymack Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been chugging a bottle of water right before bed. It actually helps.

But dont you end up using the bathroom several times a night?