Super Beginner Yoga

Options
squeaker87
squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
So I’m 100% new to yoga. This morning I did a YouTube beginner “workout” (session?). It was Yoga with Adriene, which I’ve seen recommended here. I think I’ll like it. I do have a few questions.

1 - Is yoga good for weight loss? I mean if it’s my only form of exercise (beside the occasional walk, when it’s not 100+ degrees out). Like at home yoga, not hot yoga.

2 - Does this beginner yoga count as Hatha yoga? I didn’t even know there were different kinds. But mfp database has “yoga” or “hatha yoga” as options for logging. What’s the difference and how should I log it?

Thank you,
The yoga noob

ETA - PS: I KNOW that weight loss is CICO. Also trying to count accurately and consistently. Yes I have a food scale. I just mean will yoga speed anything along and/or help me to build strength.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Just here to second @mbaker566's recommendation to take classes for the reasons stated.
    There is no way I could have had the correct form for most poses without hands on guidance.

Cheers, h.
  • squeaker87
    Options
    Yeah, I was checking out a local yoga studio online. It’s not too expensive to drop in on a class so I might do that a few times to make sure I’m doing everything right. I definitely don’t want to hurt myself!
  • CharleyRose1236
    CharleyRose1236 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Heyy I've been wondering the same thing. I have a back injury so my doctor suggested doing yoga but wasn't too sure how much it would aid the weight loss. Also I don't get how anyone can workout in this heat just about can go up and down the stairs 😳
  • squeaker87
    Options
    From what I gathered from a google search, it’s not ideal for weight loss on its own but should be combined with some form of cardio. Outside of that it’s still good exercise and I intend to start doing it regularly. I’ll just have to incorporate some walks when it cools off a bit. Maybe I’ll do some cardio videos in the meantime.
  • SabrinaJ89
    SabrinaJ89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga on and off for a year now. I can tell a difference after starting back at it. I see a difference in my stomache and butt mostly. I havent been very focused on CICO though. I also do practices from Adriene's YouTube. I like the 30 days of yoga series she has.
  • ramakrishnanpravin73
    Options
    Yoga is extremely helpful for weight loss. There are lots of videos available on youtube on this. You can refer them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yoga is extremely helpful for weight loss. There are lots of videos available on youtube on this. You can refer them.

in what way?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options

Yoga is good for helping you gain flexibility, and strength. Most yoga practices don't burn a ton of calories so for weight loss, it isn't the best exercise BUT it is excellent for overall wellness.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you are a straight up beginner, I would recommend dropping in on a few classes before transitioning to an at-home practice. A quality instructor will help you learn the basic poses and provide modifications to some of the more challenging positions.

As said by others, yoga doesn’t offer a large calorie burn, but is beneficial for strength, flexibility, and overall health. I’ve learned a lot from about my body from practicing yoga—where it is strong, where it is weak, etc. It’s also done a lot for my balance and stability.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. While it hasn't helped me lose any weight, I feel taller and that gives me better posture which in turn makes me feel thinner. As a bonus, it allows me to do other things. I have degenerative disks in my neck and yoga helps. Classes are wonderful. They teach you foundation and it helps to avoid further injury.