Weighted punches

Options
I’ve been doing them for awhile and I’m curious what are they exactly supposed to do

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Well I’m sure they’ll work whatever muscle is being activated. Most likely the shoulders, delts, forearms. More of an endurance exercise than a muscle builder. They won’t “do” anything except illicit stress on the muscles and cardiovascular system causing conditioning and adaptation....just like any other exercise...
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It’s so that when you drop the weights your punches are like grease lightening 😂
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I take it your mean like dumbbell punches, I've seen them done but I've never done them. However I'm sure if done correctly at the very less they would work your shoulders, tri's and lats. But it seems that it could be risky for your joints as well. I would say don't extend your arms all the way out. I.e. don't lock your elbows out.

I prefer using resistance bands for punching, which is what my trainers had me do when I took boxing years ago.

I would recommend asking a trainer at your gym if it's truly a beneficial exercise. Often there are better options to what we layman are doing.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Well I’m sure they’ll work whatever muscle is being activated. Most likely the shoulders, delts, forearms. More of an endurance exercise than a muscle builder. They won’t “do” anything except illicit stress on the muscles and cardiovascular system causing conditioning and adaptation....just like any other exercise...

Exactly this. But unless you're a boxer or training your punching endurance for any specific reason they more or less most likely aren't the most effective exercise for you. In many instances though it's just a form of peacocking similar to ego lifts.