Anyone else tried/trying 'Carnivore Diet'?

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

I think grazing land is left in a more normal balance than farmed land but that is more of a guess than knowledge.

It makes sense on the surface. So then if that's the case, only farming practices that deplete the soil would change nutrient levels. I know next to nothing about farming and wonder what would cause that. Certain pesticides? Not switching out crops properly? I should really learn more about something so basic to living.

Some of the nutrient depletion comes from turning over the soil every year. leaving land fallow, allowing decomposition and soil layers to build, tends to help regain nutrients in the soil. As far as I understand it.

I imagine a pasture will have richer soil than land that is tilled frequently.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Third, animal products contain all of the vitamins and minerals that you need and are often more bioavailable than those in plants. Many plants also contain anti-nutrients which animal products do not. Thanks to our depleted soils our fruits and vegetables are no longer the national powerhouse they used to be.

If our soils are depleted to the point where the nutrient level in produce is affected, wouldn't that also mean grazing animals aren't getting in those nutrients? And therefore, our meat products are lower in nutrients?

I think grazing land is left in a more normal balance than farmed land but that is more of a guess than knowledge.

Depends on the grazing land. Also, are you really buying animals products that are exclusively fed from grazing?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

It makes sense on the surface. So then if that's the case, only farming practices that deplete the soil would change nutrient levels. I know next to nothing about farming and wonder what would cause that. Certain pesticides? Not switching out crops properly? I should really learn more about something so basic to living.

Some of the nutrient depletion comes from turning over the soil every year. leaving land fallow, allowing decomposition and soil layers to build, tends to help regain nutrients in the soil. As far as I understand it.

"Pasture" = small-scale meat production, doesn't it? You have to have lots of land to raise larger numbers of animals from grazing (or foraging, in the case of pigs and poultry).
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I have not; I'm happy being an omnivore, actually.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm very much a carnivore (dairy, meat, fish mostly). Has nothing to with ethical reasons.
    One of my favorite aspects of this diet is being very low-residual; no GI issues or stomach upset, very little gas. If anything, this is just very convenient not having to deal with bloating
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    The only active MFPer on a meatcentric diet I know of is @midwesterner85

You could reach out to him OP.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Please be careful, a 'carnivore' diet can be extremely dangerous. Doctors won't be on your side with this for a number of reasons. The increased cholesterol from the meat, which clogs arteries. Your vitamins/minerals won't be met, and you will need supplements. You will also need to be sure to take fiber supplements, so you can use the bathroom as needed. The one "doctor" that actually promoted this diet lost his license. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just risky, and would hate for something bad to happen to anyone.

There is so much wrong with this post.

First, my doctor 100% supports my decision to do a Carnivore Diet. He understands the need for a strict elimination diet when people are dealing with multiple food intolerances. It’s also an inflammatory diet and since I’ve been diagnosed with inflammation of unknown cause, it’s a diet that makes sense for me.

Second, dietary cholesterol does not clog arteries. Ancel Keys releases his Seven Countries Study which HYPOTHESIZED that dietary cholesterol increases blood cholesterol. That hypothesis was never proved, in fact, it has been debunked many times over.

Third, animal products contain all of the vitamins and minerals that you need and are often more bioavailable than those in plants. Many plants also contain anti-nutrients which animal products do not. Thanks to our depleted soils our fruits and vegetables are no longer the national powerhouse they used to be.

Fourth, you do not need to take a fiber supplement. You only need fiber to help move carbohydrates through the system. If you aren’t eating carbs, you don’t need fiber.

Fifth, it is not risky as you say. Inuit peoples have sustained on a Carnivore and/or near Carnivore Diet for over 100,000 years and seem to be doing just fine.

dietary does clog arteries if you have something called familial hypercholesterolemia. for those of us that have FH we have to eat low fat/cholesterol as those things do effect our levels. and a person doesnt need fiber if they arent eating carbs? ask people who do the keto diet who complain of being constipated. and for us with FH we need excess fiber in out diets. and the inuits arent eating now like they did 100,000 years ago.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

If our soils are depleted to the point where the nutrient level in produce is affected, wouldn't that also mean grazing animals aren't getting in those nutrients? And therefore, our meat products are lower in nutrients?

I live in Iowa - farm country. This time of year, I see cattle in harvested fields eating what is left on the fields. Our cattle by and large also eat corn as their main diet.

Crops are rotated every year so that nutrients aren't depleted from the soil. One year soybeans, the next, corn.

Yes, cows and pigs both are fed high amounts of corn.

I have been eating carnivore for most of last year and this year. Before that, I ate keto, and low carb before that. Basically went low carb and kept cutting to zero over a couple years. I took a break for almost 3 months to do a Modified PSMF diet and then a real diet break. After the results of the real diet break (i.e. eat whatever I want, including carbs), I can't do that ever again.

I have type 1 diabetes and must manage carbs for that reason. I feel better (energy, GI issues) with a zero carb carnivore diet. Maybe the lack of fiber is what makes a difference. Either way, I intend to remain either zero carb / carnivore or keto for life. Or maybe will reassess if a cure for T1D is discovered.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

"Pasture" = small-scale meat production, doesn't it? You have to have lots of land to raise larger numbers of animals from grazing (or foraging, in the case of pigs and poultry).

Around here, most animals are raised on pastures, supplemented with hay, and then shipped to feedlots to be finished. They do not usually spend their lives there. At least not in Alberta.

In the feedlots, cows up here get more barley, Corn is harder to grow out here.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

I live in Iowa - farm country. This time of year, I see cattle in harvested fields eating what is left on the fields. Our cattle by and large also eat corn as their main diet.

Crops are rotated every year so that nutrients aren't depleted from the soil. One year soybeans, the next, corn.

Yes, cows and pigs both are fed high amounts of corn.

I have been eating carnivore for most of last year and this year. Before that, I ate keto, and low carb before that. Basically went low carb and kept cutting to zero over a couple years. I took a break for almost 3 months to do a Modified PSMF diet and then a real diet break. After the results of the real diet break (i.e. eat whatever I want, including carbs), I can't do that ever again.

I have type 1 diabetes and must manage carbs for that reason. I feel better (energy, GI issues) with a zero carb carnivore diet. Maybe the lack of fiber is what makes a difference. Either way, I intend to remain either zero carb / carnivore or keto for life. Or maybe will reassess if a cure for T1D is discovered.

With current research on artificial pancreas and stem cell use, they may not be too far off a cure! Or at least highly effective treatment. Type 2, not so much :(