So how bad is it really to eat below 1200 calories?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
So how bad is it really to eat below 1200 calories? I’m 5’2, obese - currently 175lbs - and fairly inactive. I was trying to be more active but lately my knees are maxed out by the stairs at the subway. I also can’t swim now due to a toe infection 😞 it’s so gross. I’m really limited with activity and what I can control is taking care of these issues as best I can, and my calorie intake.

I haven’t been aiming for below 1200, the calorie goals I was given by MFP (several pounds ago though, I should probably check again) were: 1420cal for a 1lb/week loss rate. On my weight tracking app my overall rate of loss is 0.85lb/week. I’m pleased with my progress. If I was comfortable with my higher calories I would stay there.

It’s just certain days where I get home from work and I’m exhausted and not hungry, but I’ve hit say 1100cal, I don’t push it. I just go to bed. I don’t eat below 1000, but in the past couple weeks I’ve definitely had some days between 1000-1200.

My weekly average is usually around goal, 1300-1500. I tend to eat more/have a maintenance day on Sunday because I have date night and unlike my SO I get massive headaches if I skip breakfast. And we both like food 😛

I just wondered if that was really so bad? I’m sensitive to under eating but I find usually if I’m getting home after 8 I don’t want to spend more time to eat because I’m just so tired!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    That’s fine. It is perfectly normal to have some days where you eat more and some less. If you are using the app, you can see a chart that will show you what you are averaging for the week. I use it so I can balance say going out to eat with my mom and still keep my weekly average at what it needs to be for my goals. :drinker:

It’s only when you are constantly (like everyday for extended periods of time) under eating that it becomes a problem.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I also have an occasional day or two under 1200. I try to glance back st the end of those days to make sure I met my own nutritional goals. This sometimes results in me drinking a glass of skim milk or eating one more vegetable at the end of the day. For what it’s worth, I am 5’1”, over 50, and my starting weight was over 170 ( I didn’t own a scale for the first month). My diary is open and you are welcome to poke around. My current weight is 153.4 lbs. I mention this since my starting stats seem similar to yours. The only exercise I did at first was walking. Mostly indoor walking. And only when I felt like it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It's fine to go by a weekly goal instead of a daily goal. As long as you're hitting your weekly goal and you feel well on days you eat less (i.e., you aren't dizzy, nauseous, etc.) then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Its not unhealthy AS you are hitting your mfp goal, by the end of the week. Your weight loss is on target and your listening to your body. Calorie cycling in this way is allowing you the flexibility to enjoy your date night, while still losing weight in a healthy manner. Its also setting up new habits, that will help you succeed once you reach maintenance. As long as your not going under 1,000 calories on any day and not suffering/feeling unwell on those lower days.
    Then you have nothing to worry about, continue with your plan, as it's working well for you.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I agree that since you're weekly average is 1300-1500 this isn't really a problem. I do find if I have more than a couple of low days like that in a row I start to get hangry.
  • kiela64
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    People who don't count calories (and maintain a healthy weight) also eat below 1200 from time to time. This is completely normal. The important thing is not to do it on a regular basis.
    Watch your weekly average.

I guess the reason I’m asking is that I’m doing it regularly, like 3-4 days each week?
  • kiela64
    Options
    Its not unhealthy AS you are hitting your mfp goal, by the end of the week. Your weight loss is on target and your listening to your body. Calorie cycling in this way is allowing you the flexibility to enjoy your date night, while still losing weight in a healthy manner. Its also setting up new habits, that will help you succeed once you reach maintenance. As long as your not going under 1,000 calories on any day and not suffering/feeling unwell on those lower days.
    Then you have nothing to worry about, continue with your plan, as it's working well for you.

Thank you! That’s reassuring 😁
  • kiela64
    Options
    I also have an occasional day or two under 1200. I try to glance back st the end of those days to make sure I met my own nutritional goals. This sometimes results in me drinking a glass of skim milk or eating one more vegetable at the end of the day. For what it’s worth, I am 5’1”, over 50, and my starting weight was over 170 ( I didn’t own a scale for the first month). My diary is open and you are welcome to poke around. My current weight is 153.4 lbs. I mention this since my starting stats seem similar to yours. The only exercise I did at first was walking. Mostly indoor walking. And only when I felt like it.

The only ones I usually worry about are protein & fibre. I do try to at least get close to my goal.

Your stats are similar! I started at 205 though lol. 😬 I’ll do that! I really would like to be active but it’s just not an option at the moment 😞
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I get 1200 per day and if I don't reach that amount then I don't sweat it. If I work out at any point that day I do try to eat some back though and won't go hungry on purpose of course. I'm only 4'11 and weigh 155 right now :( I'm miserable as far as knee problems and getting out of breath easily so I'm taking baby steps with exercise. But it's definitely possible to lose weight without ever exercising. I've done it in the past. I was younger at the time but I did it.
  • kiela64
    edited August 2018
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I get 1200 per day and if I don't reach that amount then I don't sweat it. If I work out at any point that day I do try to eat some back though and won't go hungry on purpose of course. I'm only 4'11 and weigh 155 right now :( I'm miserable as far as knee problems and getting out of breath easily so I'm taking baby steps with exercise. But it's definitely possible to lose weight without ever exercising. I've done it in the past. I was younger at the time but I did it.

Knee problems suck!!! It takes away so many options 😞

Thank you!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I do 1200 a day and I try to get close. But if I don't, I don't worry about it, although MFP sends me a message telling me that I am probably not eating enough. It usually happens on days when I eat fish and vegetables for dinner. I am also having a problem with workouts, because of my knees and a lower back problem. I just figured out I have to slow down a bit,.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Your average rate of loss also gives us a lot of important information here. If you are eating under 1200 on some days AND you are losing too quickly, that's a huge red flag. However, if you are eating under 1200 on some days and continue to lose at a reasonable, safe rate, that's a very different scenario.

This. For most people, 1-200 calories falls within the margin or error when it comes to accurate logging. Your loss rate tells the true tale.

No one maintaining their weight hits the perfect maintenance number every day... they'll eat less some days, & more others. The goal is to keep the average within a reasonable range.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    If you average +1200/day for the week, going under 1 day isn't a problem.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Get your minimum protein in. Consequences won’t show up for weeks (weak nails, thinning hair).
  • kiela64
    edited August 2018
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Your average rate of loss also gives us a lot of important information here. If you are eating under 1200 on some days AND you are losing too quickly, that's a huge red flag. However, if you are eating under 1200 on some days and continue to lose at a reasonable, safe rate, that's a very different scenario.

Yeah, I suck at math but I've lost about 30lbs since the beginning of April. SW: 205, CW: 171 (today). I've used Happy Scale since the end of April, and it's given me that average rate of loss at 0.85lb/week. My "current" rate of loss is right now 1.7 because I go up and then drop and idk. I don't really know why they're different? I can share the chart, either there or MFP (I log my weight in both just because I do no real reason other than I like the graphs lol) if that would help?
    VUA21 wrote: »
    If you average +1200/day for the week, going under 1 day isn't a problem.

Not one day, like 2-4 days. Each week varies.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Get your minimum protein in. Consequences won’t show up for weeks (weak nails, thinning hair).

Yeah I've usually hit that. That's why I don't get headaches or feel unwell. I find if I get that I function ok. I could eat 1600cal but if I don't hit about 70g of protein I still feel weird. It definitely explains some of my overeating and still feeling like I didn't eat "enough"

Edited to add images:

eutoemveidi1.png

4n9zx3yl7tvr.jpeg

m2l2ouuvzf2p.png

pew067q7fcvu.jpeg
    lm0thx3hur7d.jpeg
    87sf6w452ked.jpeg
    l3jbk830uwy0.jpeg
    d8kg1yyv3d8r.jpeg