Advice needed re: entire workouts devoted just to stretching

Options
swimmchick87
swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I am currently doing this workout program, started about 3 weeks ago: https://hasfit.com/foundation-beginner-workout-program/

I'm enjoying it so far, but I am currently a teacher who is on summer break, so fitting in workouts has been easy. I return to my regular work schedule next week. Despite not being a morning person, I'm going to try to do the day's workout as soon as I wake up so that I know it's done.

The one thing that I'm not fond of is the stretching videos- which are often 30 minutes on Tuesdays. I find them boring and feel like I'm wasting my time. I don't know that I can convince myself to get up 30 minutes earlier just to stretch. I'm admittedly not very flexible, but that's also not a big priority for me right now. I'm almost 15 pounds into the obese BMI range, so it seems like flexibility isn't what I should be focusing on? Wouldn't it be better to do even 30 minutes of walking to burn some calories? I do eat most of my exercise calories back, so I'm also not fond of doing a "workout" that doesn't even earn me any extra calories.

What do you think? Is there something I'm missing here about the importance of these stretching days? All of the workouts do include some stretching in the cool downs, and if it's really necessary outside of that I'd rather do a few stretches per night in front on the TV rather than devoting an entire workout to it. Can I safely replace those days with something else?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    You can. Do whatever keeps you interested and invested in moving.

I will advocate for flexibility though since it becomes more and more important as you age. Maintaining flexibility prevents injury and makes doing other exercises easier. For me, it's well worth taking the time to stretch but I can see how it would not be motivating enough to get me out of bed early. You might switch to yoga for the stretching days. There are plenty of option available for free online - pop pilates on YouTube is one of my favorites. That is relaxing, stretches your muscles, increases balance, and is more fun than just stretching.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started out obese, and I find the improved mobility and energy that exercise provides to be invigorating. I started out walking and I am getting back to running. A runner never skips stretches because they are a great injury prevention tool.

If it were me with perfect 20-20 hind vision, I'd incorporate stretching every day, even if it is five minutes.

Then I'd give you a free pass to switch out stretch days to something else.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I do circuit training 3 days a week and since adding a mobility class into my schedule I've found it invaluable and my favourite class. I suffer less injuries and I'm now more aware of how my body moves and can identify flaws in my form on free weights much easier now due to more awareness. You might not notice the benefits now but you will in the long term in my opinion
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    "I am currently doing this workout program, started about 3 weeks ago"
    "The one thing that I'm not fond of is the stretching videos- which are often 30 minutes on Tuesday"

Sounds that you should seek out another program. I do 15 to 30 minutes stretching on my lifting days and a good 15 minutes on cardio days. 30 minutes of stretching takes no more than 30 minutes of any other exercise. If the program YOU selected thinks it's important, it's important. If you think otherwise, get another program. The stretching day also makes for a good use of an "off"/ rest day.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Do you do the program every day? If so, the program is probably designed this way to make this an easy day or rest day. If you decide to replace it with something else, I would be cautious not to make it any more intense than this video is. If you are interested in burning calories, then go for a long walk. Rest days are an important part of any exercise program, so you don't want to overdo it.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Looking at the program, it says to modify how you like to reach the goals you want. There is no harm in swapping it out for a walk or whatever else you may enjoy. I would still recommend doing some kind of stretching, even if it's a few minutes after the walk because it's an important part of physical health and many benefit from it mentally as well.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I try to devote at least a handful of minutes a day stretching my hip flexors (grumble), calves, and hamstrings - sometimes I get to other parts of my body but often I don't. I personally think I should probably do more stretching than I already do. Yes I have 41 pounds to get to the top edge of the "normal" weight category of the BMI table (at the moment I'm 208 and the BMI table wants me at 166 - I'm 5' 8.5"), but I know I feel significantly better when I maintain my flexibility. I am, according to all of my doctors that deal with my orthopedic issues, "very bendy" and I'd prefer to keep it that way as the physical pain that is feeling my hamstrings get less flexible sucks (this happened when I started running and I was able to resolve it). It also takes all of 9 minutes and I often do it at the end of the day.

For reference, at the moment I exercise six to seven times a week with specific non-weight related goals. Yes, losing weight is important to me, but the goals that are more important to me revolve around cycling related performance and other sports related things.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The program already includes 2 rest days per week. I think on those days I'm going to just do whatever shorter workout they've included with the stretching (typically its 10 minutes of some sort of focused workout, and then the 30 minutes of stretching) and then just walk for the rest of the time for right now.

I'm unfortunately back to being a beginner now because I fell way off the wagon, but have been in good shape during points in my life and I never dedicated much time to stretching outside of cool downs. I'm going to try just doing a few stretches per night in front of the TV rather than doing those entire 30 minute videos, and see how that feels.