roller skating

Options
Anyone else love to roller skate? I took my youngest two roller skating yesterday and it wore me out. I made a promise to take them skating at least once every other week if not more often. I'd forgotten about how much fun it is! I'm almost 50 years old and 50 lbs overweight and it felt good to get out there and do it. If I can do that then I can do anything. I can certainly dust off my treadmill and start walking again.

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    No, but I've been meaning to. Since my 10 year old's last skate party for school I've been wanting to take him skating sometime ... because it looks like fun and it's just something for us to do together. I'm worried that roller skates will be hard to use, I always used roller blades when I was kid. Rollerblades need to come back in style lol
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I used to rollerblade with my dog...until he decided stopping right in front of me was fun (while going what felt like 20mph).

I'm going to a roller derby boot camp in a few weeks to decide if I want to join a league. I'm a really good, fast skater but I'm also really tiny. Not sure yet if the injury risk is worth it.
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We've been watching Sharp Objects and the girls are always roller skating. I makes me feel rather nostalgic. That said, three years ago I went for friends' pre-marriage party and spent more time scooping myself off the ground than actually rolling.
  • alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first inline skating marathon (6 weeks til race day!) and hadn't skated in many year's prior to deciding to do this with 14 weeks to train. I LOVE it! My sister said she's already noticed a difference/lift in my behind.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    No, but I've been meaning to. Since my 10 year old's last skate party for school I've been wanting to take him skating sometime ... because it looks like fun and it's just something for us to do together. I'm worried that roller skates will be hard to use, I always used roller blades when I was kid. Rollerblades need to come back in style lol

I'm the opposite. I grew up in the 70s/80s and it was roller skates. I can't even stand up on blades. There were a bunch of kids with the blades at the rink we went to. :)
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »

I'm the opposite. I grew up in the 70s/80s and it was roller skates. I can't even stand up on blades. There were a bunch of kids with the blades at the rink we went to. :)

I know...I felt so old when I read her post. LOL :dizzy:
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I used to love to roller skate. I did get some blades and they are tough. It might be easier now since my balance has improved but a fun, low impact way to get some good exercise. Plus I like that you work your muscles differently. Need to try the blades again and if I can't get comfortable on them, I'll just buy some regular skates. Thanks for the reminder and enjoy!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I play roller derby, so yes, I like to skate :D
    My daughter has joined the junior team now, so skating is something we can do together.
    I was a disaster on skates when I first started, but once you learn how to stop properly, it gets so much better!

For anyone skating with a dog (roller skates or blades) please please please wear a helmet. Our coach can no longer play hockey, roller derby, or even officiate on skates because his dog took an unexpected turn while he was skating and he ended up with a severe concussion and stitches in his scalp. He was very lucky to not have a skull fracture.

@mom23mangos - I am 5'0" and was 108 lbs at my peak derby time. Being small makes you harder to hit, and being strong makes your hits harder. Check out ShortStop from Gotham. You don't need to be big to play derby. You just need to learn to take advantage of your strengths. Oh, and I recommend a helmet with a face shield if your nose is at other people's elbow/shoulder level.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Thank you for the insight @mirrim52! Those are exactly my stats right now, so I feel a lot better. I've just been a little paranoid because I tend to be accident prone. I'm just healing from a fractured kneecap from a biking accident and fractured foot from dropping a 45lb plate on it.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I skate in a rink. That was my main cardio for years. Its like pilates and yoga. The balanicing part of it works so many muscles.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love roller skating, it's one of my favorite activities. I actually only learned how to skate a few years ago, and was taught at Roller Derby practice. Trial by fire. Unfortunately, I moved and didn't find the new cities roller derby team anywhere near as welcoming so I gave that up. Plus the nearest rink is 45 minutes away so I hardly ever go anymore. I do sometimes still sneak over to the tennis courts by me and skate on the smooth concrete when no one else is around though! :D
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Love roller blading. I tried roller skating once and I literally couldn’t do it lmao,😂😂totally hated it. Roller blading all the way for me 😋
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first inline skating marathon (6 weeks til race day!) and hadn't skated in many year's prior to deciding to do this with 14 weeks to train. I LOVE it! My sister said she's already noticed a difference/lift in my behind.

Duluth? You'll love it!