Options
2»

Replies

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    ***Healthier Option***

Butternut squash mac and cheese.

You roast the BNS and then blitz it into a ultra smooth purée/sauce (with milk or veg stock to loosen if necessary) then add less cheese than you would normally need but definitely use a mature/extra mature to get the strong flavour come through.
    You pour the velvety mixture over the cooked pasta and then finish off in oven with a little extra cheese on top. Loads of versions of this recipe around internet (mine differs each time so I can’t give you measurements sorry)

Do you prefer the BNS to a cauliflower mac and cheese? Ive done a cauliflower mac in a similar fashion but it was not awesome. The mature cheese with roasty squash sounds lovely though. I'll give it a try this fall!
    acpgee wrote: »
    I tried out my thought experiment for lower calorie cheese sauce to replace the classic bechamel based one. Equal parts in weight of grated mature cheddar, no fat cottage cheese, and semi skimmed milk. Blitz in the food processor. Add garlic powder, dried herbs and salt and pepper to taste. It's easier than bechamel and lower in fat.

But how did it taste? Sounds yummy - I always overlook cottage cheese. Need to try it more often.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    However I have been having a though experiment with replacing bechamel with cottage cheese
    My Grandmother used to make elbows and cottage cheese for my father when he was a boy. The family still enjoys this(bread crumbs optional) Grandma's great-great grandson eats elbows and feta cheese.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I tried out my thought experiment for lower calorie cheese sauce to replace the classic bechamel based one. Equal parts in weight of grated mature cheddar, no fat cottage cheese, and semi skimmed milk. Blitz in the food processor. Add garlic powder, dried herbs and salt and pepper to taste. It's easier than bechamel and lower in fat.

But how did it taste? Sounds yummy - I always overlook cottage cheese. Need to try it more often.[/quote]

It was quite tasty. Next time I will reduce the amount of milk for a thicker sauce.

• shampbj
    shampbj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There's a delicious one in the Comfort Food Makeovers cookbook that always gets rave reviews from my friends. If you look up the cookbook on Amazon, go to the Look Inside preview, and search for mac and cheese, you can see the recipe. It uses canned milk for the sauce, which I was skeptical of, but it really is delicious. About 470 calories for a generous serving (1/8th of a 9x13 pan).
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    vegan version here:) boil one normal potato / sweet potato, one carrot, one onion and veggie stock cube. Once soft, blend the veggies with garlic powder, nutrition yeast, salt pepper, mustard, cashews and enough of the stock water till it's the required consistency. Pour over cooked pasta ❤️g81iachn65pa.png
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

But how did it taste? Sounds yummy - I always overlook cottage cheese. Need to try it more often.

It was quite tasty. Next time I will reduce the amount of milk for a thicker sauce.

[/quote]

I also wonder if you could swap out some of the milk and use chicken stock?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    mjrc2 wrote: »

I also wonder if you could swap out some of the milk and use chicken stock? [/quote]

That's a great idea. A kind of veloute sauce with cheese.