Pasta, Green Beans and Potatoes With Pesto

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
Had this for dinner - YUM! Got the green beans and basil from my garden. Next time, I'll double or triple the green beans, but they have just started popping so I used the quantity as listed and since it felt light on greens added some Malabar spinach right at the end.

Was concerned about getting the cooking times right so did the pasta in another pan.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6078-pasta-green-beans-and-potatoes-with-pesto

19COOKING-PESTO1-articleLarge.jpg

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    This looks SO delicious! I am seriously envious.

Are those Yukon Gold potatoes? (Having trouble getting the recipe to load.)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    This looks SO delicious! I am seriously envious.

Are those Yukon Gold potatoes? (Having trouble getting the recipe to load.)

The recipe says "½ pound small potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick" - I used regular white potatoes.

Got them from a farm stand and they must have been freshly dug - they felt really hard when I sliced them. Normal cooking time, though.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Looks like the NYT doesn't want to let non-subscribers at their stuff - had to sign up for a free trial to view it. Lame!

But, recipe saved anyway. I bet this would be delightful with Zoodles if you wanted to swap out the pasta.

What protein did you pair with this?

~Lyssa
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Looks like a great vegetarian entree, with 10 grams of protein. I may try this with the addition of some white cannellini beans to add another 7 g protein and 6 g fiber.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Looks like the NYT doesn't want to let non-subscribers at their stuff - had to sign up for a free trial to view it. Lame!

But, recipe saved anyway. I bet this would be delightful with Zoodles if you wanted to swap out the pasta.

What protein did you pair with this?

~Lyssa
    Looks like a great vegetarian entree, with 10 grams of protein. I may try this with the addition of some white cannellini beans to add another 7 g protein and 6 g fiber.

I added leftover chicken, but white cannellini beans would have been a great vegetarian option.

Sorry about the problems viewing the recipe; here it is, plus a helpful comment regarding another way to time it:

11fd177798e446c328f7da455ff39b0e.png

anne 1 year ago
    This is a classic, wonderful Italian recipe from Liguria. If you are wary about the timing, ie first the potatoes, then the green beans then the pasta, just first do the potatoes, when almost done take them out of the water, let the water continue, add the beans, take them out when almost done, keep the water going and add the pasta until done, keep the beans and potatoes in a bowl that can be kept warm, when the pasta is done, then mix everything together. PS: I live in Italy and everyone loves my version.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    That looks very good! I couldn't make it because my husband is on a diabetic diet and has to watch his carbs.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    That looks very good! I couldn't make it because my husband is on a diabetic diet and has to watch his carbs.

You could always substitute zoodles or miracle noodles for pasta. Swede in place of potatoes. Green beans don't need to be sub'd.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    That looks amazing! I could eat just about anything with pesto on it. I have to admit, I think having potatoes on pasta is a little odd, but why not? I also like the idea of subbing cannellini beans or chicken instead of the taters to balance the macros a little. I think it's time to make some pesto...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I couldn't do pasta and potatoes, just doesn't work in my head. I would sub in prawns and love it.
    This is the first year in a couple of decades I haven't grown my herbs, salad greens, and beans. I was away for April then June and July. I really miss them.

Luckily my fruits are all doing well.

Thanks for posting the recipe @kshama2001, got it saved.

Cheers, h.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I've been familiar with the recipe for years, but had a mental block against potatoes and pasta as well. But last week I noticed it was time to harvest basil, my green beans were starting to come in, and I had potatoes in too small a quantity to make anything else, and voila!

But next time I might try cannellini beans for extra protein. I do very much like pasta and beans.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

But next time I might try cannellini beans for extra protein. I do very much like pasta and beans.
    I love pasta and beans! I’m Italian and we frequently had pasta with beans or chick peas or green peas for Friday night dinner growing up.