Never feel a burn

Options
So I do alot of ring work and body weight stuff, skill work bla bla bla but I hear people talk about is the BURN .. push ups, dips i never ever feel a burn i just get to a stage i can't do anymore.. so does that mean im doing something wrong or am I not one of these people that doesn't get a burn

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,416 Member
    Options
    I'm not a very strong person, and if I'm very untrained my muscles just go from doing a rep easily to not doing anything at all anymore at the next. No burn in-between. Do you mean something like that?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if it's regular strength training, circuit training or drop sets I don't feel a burn either - I just get progressively more fatigued until I hit failure.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I also almost never feel a burn when I hit failure in terms of strength training. I'm more than positive that my physical therapist would have told me very quickly if I as doing something wrong.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Surely you feel something, a sense of growing fatigue as you exercise. That sense of growing fatigue is the "burn". That's your body telling you that you are using up energy i.e. burning calories. I don't think people are suggesting that you should feel as if anything is on fire or literally burning when they talk about feeling a burn.
  • MyMarionette
    MyMarionette Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think I only feel the “burn” when I hit shoulders and traps. It feels like they are literally burning though when I’m done lmao. I’m not sure 🤔 I’ve always wondered if I do something wrong when I lift for chest cause I don’t really feel much when hitting it. It goes till my triceps are done -.- even when I put emphasis in the chest squeeze
  • aokoye
    Options
    Surely you feel something, a sense of growing fatigue as you exercise. That sense of growing fatigue is the "burn". That's your body telling you that you are using up energy i.e. burning calories. I don't think people are suggesting that you should feel as if anything is on fire or literally burning when they talk about feeling a burn.

I always think of lactic acid build up and the pain from that when I think of "feeling the burn". That is what at least some people using that term are referring to.
  • born_of_fire74
    edited August 2018
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I always think of lactic acid build up and the pain from that when I think of "feeling the burn". That is what at least some people using that term are referring to.

Sure, that works. Burn as it relates to exercise is a euphemism rather than a literal descriptor--nothing is or should be on actual fire. English is full of such terms. The gym is a "hop, step and jump away" when it is close to your location but that doesn't mean you literally take a hop, step and then jump to get there.

• aokoye
    Options

Sure, that works. Burn as it relates to exercise is a euphemism rather than a literal descriptor--nothing is or should be on actual fire. English is full of such terms. The gym is a "hop, step and jump away" when it is close to your location but that doesn't mean you literally take a hop, step and then jump to get there.

Yes, language is in fact a series constructs. For example why is what we think of as a dog called a "dog" in English as opposed to some other series of phonemes? The burn example isn't a euphemism though, you could maybe class it is a metaphor.
  • born_of_fire74
    Options

Yes, language is in fact a series constructs. For example why is what we think of as a dog called a "dog" in English as opposed to some other series of phonemes? The burn example isn't a euphemism though, you could maybe class it is a metaphor.

Metaphor is a more accurate descriptor as euphemism implies there is something harsh, unpleasant or offensive about the actual term that requires softening. Thanks!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I only feel the “burn” when it’s really high rep stuff
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Count yourself lucky!
  • AyameShimitsu
    AyameShimitsu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The first question is form. Is your form correct? Have someone knowledgeable in proper form take a look at you. The second is how fast are you doing them? When I go to the gym I see a lot of people with proper form but are doing it too fast to get any benefit from it. If you go fast, you use momentum to help you. Go super slow and do the same number of reps. There should be a difference. The third is you may not be doing enough reps or have enough weight. Increase it.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow down and power on way up... I go for the negivate more.. and my form is good had a trainer check me out...
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do you keep pushing yourself to new limits each day or do you just stay in the same pattern ?