Here we go again!

Options
Hi everyone! I’m back after over a year off and significant weight gain. This will be my 4th attempt to stay with it on MFP. Ive been successful in the past, but never have I reached my goal weight. At each attempt, life happens around the 80lb lost mark and I give up.

I’m all all or nothing type person, so when I’m on MFP and engaged I’m 100% go hard. When I’m not...I’m 100% eat what I want in quantities I want when I want.

I need help to find balance. I need help to not obsess over my food choices and obsess with my time at the gym.

I’m in San Antonio Texas, home of the margarita, tacos, and nachos. I need balance.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Welcome back! Going on and off, 100% for a couple of weeks/months, is easy. Finding balance, and fighting the all or nothing in us... it's very important, and difficult. We have to learn how to accept missteps and imperfections, how to make weight management a natural part of our life, not shape our lives around weightloss.

Something that has helped me, is to apply the concept of time. Things happen over time. Consistency doesn't mean the same from day to day, it just means not constantly going from one extreme to another. Another thing that has helped me, is to think that I eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time. Again, time. There is a time for everything. This means that nothing is off limits. And nothing is right or wrong. It's way more about what's more or less helpful. The mechanics of weight up/down is the same for all of us. The practical application will be highly individual.
  • isabel_gets_healthy_25
    Options
    I'm 100% in the same situation as you.
    I'm all or nothing - I'm either on a restrictive diet and going to the gym as often as possible or I'm having a blow out binge where I'll literally stuff myself until I feel physically sick!
    My long term goal is still to lose weight but my main focus (because I know I can't achieve that long term goal without it) is to find a healthy and d relationship with food.
  • KNUDSEN112123
    KNUDSEN112123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome back I added on MFP let's keep eachother motivated to do better.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! :)
  • Severen725
    Severen725 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!
  • Bahamaria
    Bahamaria Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well hopefully your here for the long term! You can do this!
  • angelicacurran
    angelicacurran Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the same, an all or nothing type and I’m trying to find a good balance but at least we are here! It’s a step in the right direction 🙂💜
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    We should approach this as a lifestyle the goal is to keep going not give up after a plateau join gym classes change up the exercises you have been doing try new healthy recipes