Beginer ~ Exercise and losing weight

Options
SO, I have been losing weight and not doing a lot of exercise because I have been recovering from a back injury. I just spent quite a bit of time on another board here and they talk about getting exercise NOW to not lose muscle. Now I am better (but will always have to be thoughtful of my back) and not even sure where to start with exercise. I don't want 6 pack abs. I would just like to be leaner and healthier. And suggestions as to where to start?

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. It worked for me.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, walking in water may offer a bit more resistance without as much pressure on your joints. You might talk to your doctor about physical therapy as well. A good physical therapist should be able to offer your advice on home exercises that will support your recovery.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Get cleared by your doctor or physical therapist. They can let you know what exercises to do and which to avoid. A PT can often suggest core exercises that will strengthen your back. Core isn’t just for abs. It plays a huge role in back strength too.

You’ll probably be advised to stick with low impact, so walking, elliptical and biking would all be good cardio there. Before doing any strength stuff though, get advice from your medical team on any limitations as you get started. I have a lower back disk that is bulging. I’ve been able to slowly get my core built up where I can do most normal exercises now without huge modifications. But it was a cautious process. And as a bonus, PT is often covered by insurance!