LET'S KICK THIS PIG!!!

Slimithy
Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
Introduction: Hi. I'm Rob.

Whew! Feels good to be back on here. I joined MFP back in very early 2011. I had already started working out with some co-workers and had begun losing some weight even before I joined. At one point I was running 3-4 times a week, 2-4 miles each time and counting all my calories. I felt great and my success became contagious as my wife joined me and lost a bunch of weight as well. Over a year or so I lost 65lbs going from my highest at 344 to 279.

But the other day I looked at the scale and it said 335...

"So... What happened?" You ask.

As I went to write an answer to this I realized I was wrong about what I had as a reason for gaining my weight back, at least for the start of the problem. At first I was going to say that the stress of a new baby in the house and my middle son's special needs made it hard to find time to workout. This is true, it did complicate things; but then I remembered that my wife had her biggest success at weight loss after our youngest was born. I was with her for a while but over time I just fell off of it. I'd go to the gym less and less. I'd skip days recording calories more and more often. A cheat day became cheat days... cheat weeks...

By 2016 I'd gone back up to about 305. I hated that I had gained back so much but I still would console myself that it'd been 5 years and I was still about 40lbs under my heaviest. I'd tell myself that at least I wasn't as big as that anymore. I'd occasionally weigh myself and tell myself I need to "get back on it" and take my health serious. The problem is this realization that I needed to get back on the wagon corresponded with what has been the most stressful and difficult 2 years of my life.

In the summer of 2016 the issues with my middle son escalated and caused a great deal of stress in my house. Out the window went the ability to spend time doing much of anything besides directly caring for my family and working a full time career, or at least it felt like it did. In the summer of 2017 a legal issue that jeopardized my entire family unit simply piled on and legitimized every excuse my mind came up with for why I couldn't lose weight.

Both my wife and I fell hard into some very destructive old habits with food. I was always exhausted due to what was happening in our home. I increased my use of food as a drug or salve to aid and comfort me through the stress and chaos I was experiencing. I became a constant snacker and late-night binge-eater. Going to the store, I'll get a snickers. Walking through the kitchen, get a small handful of peanuts. Putting the dogs up for the night, how about some graham crackers with peanut butter with a glass of milk. Just got home and my wife doesn't have dinner ready yet, I'll grab a cheese stick, maybe two... You don't get to my size with eating a substantial amount of calories every day.

So here I am today. Committing to myself that I am going to log everything that crosses my lips. I am not committing to dieting. I'm not committing to working out or losing weight. I am committing to logging my food, just so that I have to acknowledge what I'm doing to my body. I know from experience that this will itself spur change.

I did best with lifestyle change when I had people doing it with me. I'm looking for fellow travelers on this journey. People who will keep me accountable and encourage me. If that sounds like you add me. Back in 2011 my motto was "Let's kick this pig!" I've not kicked the pig in a long time. I'm putting my pig-kicking shoes on. Time to make that porker squeal.

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Here on mfp we usually kick *kittens* ;) But same sentiment. Good luck on your journey :)
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Good for you Rob!! I lost weight in 2014, but through a series of health issues, I stopped working and started cheating. My husband and I were both pigging out in the most disturbing ways (cheesecake figured prominently). I can give my husband a little break, because he was always one of those people who could eat anything and never gain - until his metabolism changed. And I have spent much of the last 2 years, comforting myself with food. Even my dogs gained weight. Well on July 1st, my husband got the diagnosis of diabetes, and walking out of the Drs. office, we realized it is time to get serious.
    Life can be so stressful and for some of us, that means food. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I found Halo ice cream, because I could sit and eat the entire container in one sitting.
    So glad that you feel you feel committed and motivated about your health again!! That first step is hard, but you get back in the groove and the next thing the pounds are coming off and you feel better and more energetic.
    I've never kicked a pig, but if that's what works for you, go for it!!
    My best wishes for your success. I totally get it.
  • Bahamaria
    Bahamaria Posts: 48 Member
    You can do this!