Running on grass vs road

Options
I've signed up for my first race in October -10k. I'm just barely going to be running 10k by that time the way my training is going, and looking at last year's results I'm going to be one of the very slowest runners as it is.

I run on roads and paths. The race is 40% road 60% grass. I don't have anywhere I can easily train on grass to get used to it. Is this going to hold me back hugely? I will make sure I get in the car and drive somewhere I can do a few practice runs on grass before the big day, but there's no way I can make it a regular part of my schedule.

How much can I expect it to slow me down? I'm only running a 12 min mile as it is, the slowest stragglers last year took 90 minutes, and I'm not sure my confidence can take me being the last place runner.

Advice or reassurance please?

Replies

• maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I normally run on the road but have run on paths and grass and it really made no difference on my time. The grass will be compressed from all the running traffic so it won't get in the way.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Depends how rough the grass is. If it's flat and the grass is cut short very little difference. If though it's rougher and more uneven it could have a greater effect
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The race is at a stately home where a lot of people walk so I assume the grass will be short. But being October in England, I think it's likely to be very muddy.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can depend greatly. As others say, short grass on flat, solid ground really isn't all that different. Running in longer grass on uneven ground is much more difficult. Running on muddy ground can be tricky because of slipping.

Can you visit the site beforehand to see what it's like?

Chances are it won't make that much of a difference and everyone will be in the same boat so if it slows you down, it will slow other people down too.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You might find it tires your legs out more, especially if it is muddy. Try and run on the least destroyed patches of grass.

I would try and get some practice in if you can, just to get used to the difference in surface. I like running on grass because it's springier, but it takes more concentration and you need to watch where you put your feet.

Good luck!