~120lbs to lose, but halfway there.

Options
Hey guys, my name is Ryan and I'm 24 years old. I started my fitness journey back in March. I started at around 311lbs. In the beginning, I was just hitting the gym 4-5 times a week, then in May I began calorie counting.

I've consistently been around 315-330 for the last 8 years or so, but I've always been very overweight. I've tried to lose weight multiple times over the years, sometimes even with mild success for a month or two, but in the end I never remained disciplined enough to stick with it. I started this journey with no real goal weight in mind (as I had so much to lose I didn't really have any idea of where I want to end up) but now I'm setting my sights on around 190-200 where I'll then focus on body comp and building (more) muscle.

Currently, I'm 254. 57lbs down, and about halfway to my goal. Honestly it feels great to be able to say that I've taken this as seriously as I can and fitness has become such a passion of mine over the last few months. I've never really used the social media/community portions of MFP before, but have lately found myself browsing over the forums quite a bit so I thought I'd make a thread and actually add some people. I've found it incredibly helpful to talk to and read about others in the fitness game so I wanted to involve myself and hopefully inspire others and gain some inspiration as well.

Replies

• kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and keep up the great work! Add me if you wish.
  • GreatNeckVBMom
    GreatNeckVBMom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You should be sooo proud of yourself. That’s amazing and I am inspired by you, so thanks for letting people know. Good luck.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! You have a great outlook :)
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That’s great progress— congrats!
  • Lilygator1017
    Lilygator1017 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That really is fantastic! I understand the trouble with sticking to it. I've been trying for years but I would consistently let myself quit. I'm at 290 now, and working my way to the 160s-170s. I also decided to crack down on my calories. Within a week I lost 5 pounds, but I think it was chocolate weight? Anyways, good luck with the good fight, add me if you like! :)
  • terrichcombo
    terrichcombo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! Thanks for your post, too! It's good that you're tackling your weight issue at a young age - I'm also male and have been overweight most of my life until age 56 (after a heart attack, 2 hip replacements, sky high cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc.. - mostly due to my obesity) - got tired of being so sick and tired, eventually losing 105 lbs (one day at a time) and, now 7 years later, my quality of life has increased exponentially! Again, congrats, and keep up the good work!
  • Cthulhamonster
    Cthulhamonster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is awesome progress!

I definitely understand the hesitation of the community aspect of MFP. I was on this website about 5 years ago when I was first trying to lose weight. At that time, I didn't want to reach out to the community or keep statuses.

Now, I am more in a similar mindset with you. It motivates me to know that I am not alone and to hear others successes/journeys.