Keto vs Low Carb

flatcoatedR
flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
edited August 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hello, I have low carb dieted for years. But, can someone please tell me the differences between the keto diet and all the rest of the low carb diets? Thanks.

Replies

• amberdonahoe
    amberdonahoe Posts: 3 Member
    The keto diet is high fat and high protein with extremely low carb. Usually only 20g per day.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Hello, I have low carb dieted for years. But, can someone please tell me the differences between the keto diet and all the rest of the low carb diets? Thanks.

Calorie for calorie, it doesn't make any difference for body composition. Beyond it, you may find that one diet or the other will make you feel more satiated.
  • ireallyneedit
    ireallyneedit Posts: 106 Member
    I just started a keto plan and have also doing it for my husband and daughter. My question is MyFitnessPal does not seem to take the carbs and subtract the fibre to get net carbs. I use the foods already calculated on this app . Do you have any suggestions for me?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I just started a keto plan and have also doing it for my husband and daughter. My question is MyFitnessPal does not seem to take the carbs and subtract the fibre to get net carbs. I use the foods already calculated on this app . Do you have any suggestions for me?

Switch out one of your tracked columns in your diary for fiber (I swapped out sugar and track fiber instead) and then you can just subtract the fiber from your carbs. There's also a lot of items in the database that are already net carbs (double check them because, like everything else in the database, there are some erroneous entries.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

Please focus on the questions presented by the OP. If a debate arises feel free to start a new debate thread about it. I think most of you have been around long enough you are quite aware of how to start a thread and post a link to it.

Since this seems to be a large problem this weekend, next time I see it hijacking warnings will roll out.

Thanks,
    4Legs
    MFP moderator
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2018
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

I've read that there is an add on that you can get to track net carbs with MFP. I haven't used it, but if you do a search of the forums, you should be able to find it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator

MFP does not calculate net carbs. You can set your diary to show carbs and fiber and subtract yourself. That's the best method at this point. If you have more questions please feel free to start your own thread on one of the help boards. If your questions are tagged onto and existing thread they don't always get answered thoroughly.
  • ballerbryan
    ballerbryan Posts: 24 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    leftsox wrote: »
    Ok guys so all the science behind how long it takes to process protien and fats vs carbs Must be wrong..because of course you can eat salad and cake and feel full for 18 hours right...I call BS.

Please link to where anybody said it's a good idea to eat nothing but cake and salad. We'll wait. :smh:

Unfortunately, we're in the wrong universe. Somewhere out there our other selves eating junk food and get fit