Speed or distance runners

So I've nearly completed C2 10K. Have already done C2 5K. My speed never seems to increase but I feel like I can run and run.
My question is this - are we built to be either speed runners or distance runners? Am I flogging a dead horse trying to get faster and just increase mileage or what?

Replies

• SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    I find speed increases with time and confidence, but sometimes it is something I really have to focus on. I believe there is a C25K follow on podcast that's designed to help increase speed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    To run faster you have to run faster (sounds obvious doesn't it).

At this point I wouldn't suggest worrying about speed, you're still building your aerobic base. Speed comes with time and it comes with speed specific training (hills, intervals etc). Your running speed should also improve (slightly) as you lose more weight.

One of my coaches once said (I'm paraphrasing) not to worry about running a fast 5K until you can run a slow 10K.
  • wiserebel
    wiserebel Posts: 28 Member
    I focused on distance at first and slowly started adding short fast runs in once a week to work on my overall speed.

I now split my weekly runs into four categories.

1. Long Slow Runs
    2. Mid Speed Mid Distance Runs (with hills)
    3. Fast Short Runs (either 1 mile or 3.1miles)
    4. Recovery Runs

Out of all of them, the Fast Short Runs are the hardest but every week you end up knocking a few seconds of your time and slowly get faster!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    To run faster you have to run faster (sounds obvious doesn't it).

I think a more complete version of that would be if you want to run faster you have to run a lot - mostly easy, some fast.

During your initial training you can make a lot of speed gains by running a lot of easy miles. After finishing C25K most people will make some pretty good gains by increasing their mileage to 20 miles per week. Still more gains will come with 25+ miles per week over time, even if speedwork plays no part in training.

With that being said, yes, if you want to run fast you have to run fast.

Tell us a bit more specifically what you want to accomplish and we can give you more specific input. Do you want to run a blistering 5k? Would you like to qualify for Western States?
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Tell us a bit more specifically what you want to accomplish and we can give you more specific input. Do you want to run a blistering 5k? Would you like to qualify for Western States?

I run a 10k at 11.46 min mile. I'm a 41yo female about 30 lbs overweight. I can run straight for about 2 hours ( tested last night lol). Feel like a tortoise in comparison with the runners passing me by. So yeah, wouldn't hurt to speed up .
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    ... are we built to be either speed runners or distance runners? Am I flogging a dead horse trying to get faster and just increase mileage or what?

The short answer is sort of. We all have a genetic limit. If we could quit our jobs, have all of our foods prepared by an expert sports nutritionist and hired a world class coach we could all get a lot faster. However at one point our genetics are going to say "Ok, that's it. That's as fast as you're ever going to get" A lot goes into that, fast twitch vs slow twitch muscle fibers, heart size, lung size, height, etc.

Most of us never get anywhere close to our genetic potential. Not even close.

You're saying you'd like to get faster. Are you looking to get faster and stick to the mid distances races like 5k?
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    ... are we built to be either speed runners or distance runners? Am I flogging a dead horse trying to get faster and just increase mileage or what?

The short answer is sort of. We all have a genetic limit. If we could quit our jobs, have all of our foods prepared by an expert sports nutritionist and hired a world class coach we could all get a lot faster. However at one point our genetics are going to say "Ok, that's it. That's as fast as you're ever going to get" A lot goes into that, fast twitch vs slow twitch muscle fibers, heart size, lung size, height, etc.

Most of us never get anywhere close to our genetic potential. Not even close.

You're saying you'd like to get faster. Are you looking to get faster and stick to the mid distances races like 5k?

I'm not going to do any actual competitions. I have to run with a stroller, always. Solo will never be an option. It's just trying to achieve the absolute best i can with the circumstances I have.

I'm not sure what a realistic time for my age, weight, and baby on board actually is.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I'm by no means an expert, and my advice is purely from my own experience (rather than any actual knowledge of running mechanics)...

Mileage will help, as you need a solid base before you can really add speed. Speed work will help as it helps with muscle adaptation. But nothing has helped me more, especially going from a beginner runner to a good runner, than strength training. Stronger muscles are more resilient, less injury prone, etc.
  • buchy2009
    buchy2009 Posts: 11 Member
    Speed will increase by just running more easy miles per week. A study profiled in Runner's World found that speed increases with weekly mileage increases up to about 80 miles per week.

Speed work helps too, but be careful about adding this in - it can lead to injury if you don't have a proper base or if you add it in too liberally. You can also increase speed by running easy miles on hilly routes.

Many talk about a "dead zone" where one runs faster than easy but slower than speed work paces in which you don't gain any speed so if you're doing speed work, do speed work and if you're doing an easy run, do an easy run. Don't fall into the "dead zone." Running with a heart rate monitor can help prevent this.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    HIIT I hear helps increase speed, personally I've merely gone on increase of mileage but will have to try and up the speed a bit. Whatever you do I'd advise you to do it gradually.