Ketogenic Diet and Hormonal Regulation of Appetite

Options
Here's an interesting blog discussing the role of a ketogenic diet in helping address the hormonal regulation of appetite (insulin, leptin, gherlin) and why it may be a helpful strategy to both lose and maintain weightloss.
https://blog.virtahealth.com/ketosis-appetite-hunger/

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks for linking this. It was interesting.

Low carbs = low leptin but increased leptin sensitivity = less hunger. Neat.

And I had no idea that exogenous ketones had been shown to reduce appetite. I thought they were beneficial only for those who needed higher ketones for medical reasons.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

And I had no idea that exogenous ketones had been shown to reduce appetite. I thought they were beneficial only for those who needed higher ketones for medical reasons.

I have to look for some studies, as its been awhile, ketone production is what is believed to be what helps suppress appetite. Personally, i haven't seen it when i am keto, but maybe that would change if i became fat adapted.

ETA: of you look at programs like UD2, Lyle McDonald designs the program to address the hormonal impacts caused by dieting. Ao ketogenic for 4 days to increase fatty acids mobilization and glycogen depletion (to assist fat mobilization, followed by a 2 day high carb, low fat to combat letpin reductions and ghrelin increases caused by dieting. This also leads to glycogen super compensation, which generally allows you to eat significant amounts of carbs without adding body fat (pending dietary fat is low) as glycogen replenishment is out prioritize than energy storage.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I have to look for some studies, as its been awhile, ketone production is what is believed to be what helps suppress appetite. Personally, i haven't seen it when i am keto, but maybe that would change if i became fat adapted.

ETA: of you look at programs like UD2, Lyle McDonald designs the program to address the hormonal impacts caused by dieting. Ao ketogenic for 4 days to increase fatty acids mobilization and glycogen depletion (to assist fat mobilization, followed by a 2 day high carb, low fat to combat letpin reductions and ghrelin increases caused by dieting. This also leads to glycogen super compensation, which generally allows you to eat significant amounts of carbs without adding body fat (pending dietary fat is low) as glycogen replenishment is out prioritize than energy storage.

He might have something there but with my health situation, I can't add lots of carbohydrates. Plus I don't feel like carbs have added any benefits to my life beyond flavour. It tends to bother my AI symptoms and aggravate my arthritis, raise my BG and insulin levels which is not good for reactive hypoglycaemia or IR, stimulate my appetite and cravings which makes weight management harder, and I'm a celiac so I can't eat whatever I want anyways. He might have a good plan for some people but I can't see any health positives in it for me, just some tastiness. Ymmv. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

He might have something there but with my health situation, I can't add lots of carbohydrates. Plus I don't feel like carbs have added any benefits to my life beyond flavour. It tends to bother my AI symptoms and aggravate my arthritis, raise my BG and insulin levels which is not good for reactive hypoglycaemia or IR, stimulate my appetite and cravings which makes weight management harder, and I'm a celiac so I can't eat whatever I want anyways. He might have a good plan for some people but I can't see any health positives in it for me, just some tastiness. Ymmv. ;)

His plans are designed to get people lean. For me, carbs have a variety of purposed to including improved health.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Correction, leptin is not influenced by carbohydrate intake but most influenced by adipose/fat tissue mass. You are looking @ things backwards

"Leptin

Leptin is an anorexigenic hormone, mainly is secreted from white adipocytes and serum levels of leptin correlate with adipose tissue mass. It is a product of "ob" gene and is a 167 amino acid peptide. Leptin acts on the satiety center of hypothalamus through specific receptors (ob-R) to restrict food intake and enhance energy expenditure. [35]

Leptin plays a crucial role in the maintenance of body weight and glucose homeostasis through central and peripheral pathways, including regulation of insulin secretion by pancreatic cells. In young healthy subjects, circulating leptin levels show diurnal rhythm with highest levels during mid-sleep and the lowest levels during the day. [36] In obese subjects, circulating leptin levels are increased, but the relative amplitude of their diurnal variation is decreased. [36] The diurnal leptin variations of anorexia nervosa patients are abolished and leptin levels are low. [37]

The prolonged total sleep deprivation results in a decreased amplitude of the 24-hour leptin rhythm. [38] Leptin has been implicated in causing peripheral insulin resistance by attenuating insulin action, and perhaps insulin signaling, in various insulin-responsive cell types."
    -Medscape
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Correction, leptin is not influenced by carbohydrate intake but most influenced by adipose/fat tissue mass. You are looking @ things backwards

"Leptin

Leptin is an anorexigenic hormone, mainly is secreted from white adipocytes and serum levels of leptin correlate with adipose tissue mass. It is a product of "ob" gene and is a 167 amino acid peptide. Leptin acts on the satiety center of hypothalamus through specific receptors (ob-R) to restrict food intake and enhance energy expenditure. [35]

Leptin plays a crucial role in the maintenance of body weight and glucose homeostasis through central and peripheral pathways, including regulation of insulin secretion by pancreatic cells. In young healthy subjects, circulating leptin levels show diurnal rhythm with highest levels during mid-sleep and the lowest levels during the day. [36] In obese subjects, circulating leptin levels are increased, but the relative amplitude of their diurnal variation is decreased. [36] The diurnal leptin variations of anorexia nervosa patients are abolished and leptin levels are low. [37]

The prolonged total sleep deprivation results in a decreased amplitude of the 24-hour leptin rhythm. [38] Leptin has been implicated in causing peripheral insulin resistance by attenuating insulin action, and perhaps insulin signaling, in various insulin-responsive cell types."
    -Medscape

The blog discusses how when eating low carb, leptin falls (possibly due to lower inflammation or lower triglycerides or other factors) but leptin sensitivity appears to increase. I was just paraphrasing the article; it's not my ideas.

... Of course if one is obese from eating too many carbs (excess calories, right) the one would have higher leptin levels too. ;) JK

But seriously, I just found it interesting that they found that low carbers have lower leptin since leptin is normally the hormone that signals one to eat less (as I understand it). You'd think lowered leptin would cause people to want to eat more. Conversely, it's sort of odd to me that the more fat you have stored the more leptin you have,(as per your quote) because I seemed to feel hungrier the heavier I got. Ymmv.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

His plans are designed to get people lean. For me, carbs have a variety of purposed to including improved health.

Another way to CI<CO.