The Food Addiction

Options
I am 290lbs and 6'0". In addition I am a disabled Vet, and have spent a considerable amount of time studying nutrition and exercise. I know what to do and how to do it, but no matter how much I plan, it always seems to fail. Every week I start a new weight-loss journey and every week it seems like some unknown force will bring me to eat more than I plan. While everything else in my life is doing better than I have ever expected, this is the last area that I want control over instead of it controlling me.

My BMR is at 2400cal/day and my meals are weighed out to be ~1700cal/day.
How have others dealt with the food addiction when they first start out?

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    It really sounds to me like you are restricting your calories too much. That always makes me go off the rails.

You should take your deficit from your TDEE, not your BMR. At your size 1700 calories may just be too little. For comparison, I am female, 5'1" and around 135 pounds. I lose 1/2 a pound a week on around 1600 calories a day.

What did MFP give you for a calorie goal when you entered your stats? I suspect you could lose a pound a week at about 2000 calories.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    pilot2007 wrote: »
    So I just checked out the TDEE calculator (something I never looked at) and it explains a lot. To maintain my weight for my activity the TDEE is showing a 4000cal maintenance level. So even if i play it on the safer side and say light activity at 3600cal then its a 2600cal deficit for 2lbs a weekish. Using the TDEE numbers i was running a deficit of almost 2k a day previously, OUCH. That explains a lot.

Great realization! You so can do this now! <3
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got your answer.

Thank you for your service.