Plateaued for Over a Month

I started out with my 1820 calorie a day, four hikes a week (30 to 60 minutes/hike, forest trails, short but steep hills) plan back in May. The first month I lost ten pounds...right on schedule. Since mid-June, I've lost another....zero pounds. I track my nutrition daily and my net calories for the week is always negative. (I'm 5'11", 225 pounds, male.)

Here's what I think it's NOT:
Fudging in tracking calories/nutrition

Here's what I think it MIGHT be:
Too much sodium (water retention?)
Too many carbs (just a guess)
Exercise adherence not rigorous enough (I'm hiking regularly but not hitting my 240 minutes weekly goal)

Any ideas? It's starting to get discouraging. I was ready for "slow and steady" but this is "all work, no pay".

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    why do you have negative net calories?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    It's probably not purposeful mistakes, which is what I think "fudging" is, so I agree that it probably isn't fudging. Do you use a HRM? Since I have gotten in better shape, I get less burn from hiking or brisk walking; barely even a bump in HR.
  • CarvedTones
    edited August 2018
    delete
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    So, you’ve lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks, sounds like, which is a great rate.
    That’s a deficit of 500 cals per day!

At 215 lbs & 5’11” you are at top range of normal BMI, and weight loss can slow a bit. I reset my goals to 1/2 lb per week at that point.

I find when I up my exercise to a new level, the scale slows down/plateaus a bit, and then drops. Were you doing the hiking before?

Things that accelerated my weight loss:
    1) not eating out - at all. I always ate way more & couldn't track the calories & wayyy to much salt (for me) - it was/is my addiction.

2) switching to daily exercise equal to approx 500-550 calories burned per day. Apple Watch spurred this change. Before, I burned 200-250? every other day.

3) as others mentioned I use a food scale 100% of time. I want the data (both CI & CO) so I can understand what I need to do to lose/maintain.

Don’t give up. You will feel A-Mazing & look better than you thought you could. Really.
  • CarvedTones
    So, you’ve lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks, sounds like, which is a great rate.
    That’s a deficit of 500 cals per day!

At 215 lbs & 5’11” you are at top range of normal BMI, and weight loss can slow a bit. I reset my goals to 1/2 lb per week at that point.

215 at 5'11" would be a BMI of 30. OP actually said 225, which is 31.4. Setting weight loss to 1.5 to 2 pounds a week should be doable at that point.
  • akronrick
    akronrick Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks, everyone. I have a scale and was using it frequently at first. Not so much lately. I'll get back to it. I think I need to pick up my exercise and make it more routine. I don't use a HRM.

I might be overestimating my calories burned on my hikes. MapMyHike gives very high "calories burned" rates so I use another calculator online that gives much lower calories burned. Still...they might be overestimated. Not sure what to do about that.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    edited August 2018
    I have been struggling with the same thing. At a recent check-up with my doctor we discussed this. He suggested I add more exercise. He explained my body is used to what I am doing and needs a bit more. Also, he suggested changing my diet a bit. I did both of these this week and did FINALLY see a drop on the scale. I didn't make real big changes. I walk for exercise and added a second walk to my day. For my diet I added more veggies and fruit. I always weigh and measure what I eat at home. Eating out, I try to make very good choices and not eat the whole serving. Just a few suggestions...but they worked for me. Good Luck-Plateaus stink...
  • akronrick
    why do you have negative net calories?

Yeah, that's not too clear, I guess. What I meant was that, including walking, I'm under my weekly calorie goal.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    akronrick wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone. I have a scale and was using it frequently at first. Not so much lately. I'll get back to it. I think I need to pick up my exercise and make it more routine. I don't use a HRM.

I might be overestimating my calories burned on my hikes. MapMyHike gives very high "calories burned" rates so I use another calculator online that gives much lower calories burned. Still...they might be overestimated. Not sure what to do about that.

I agree that MapMyHike gives too many calories burned so I just don't eat all of them back, not even half of them. That's what I do about it.
  • roxskow
    roxskow Posts: 29 Member
    Don't eat back exercise calories. Come up with a pre/post workout meal that makes sense for your goals and only consume it around those activities. Meal plan should be the same otherwise day to day. Good luck!
  • akronrick
    berky06 wrote: »
    I have been struggling with the same thing. At a recent check-up with my doctor we discussed this. He suggested I add more exercise. He explained my body is used to what I am doing and needs a bit more. Also, he suggested changing my diet a bit. I did both of these this week and did FINALLY see a drop on the scale. I didn't make real big changes. I walk for exercise and added a second walk to my day. For my diet I added more veggies and fruit. I always weigh and measure what I eat at home. Eating out, I try to make very good choices and not eat the whole serving. Just a few suggestions...but they worked for me. Good Luck-Plateaus stink...

Thanks. Yeah, I have a suspicion that too many bad carbs and sodium, along with not quite enough exercise is at the root of the problem. I've been doing more fruit (easier to do in the summer) and still working on the sodium (geez, that's an insidious nutrient, isn't it?). I appreciate your input.
  • akronrick
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    "Here's what I think it's NOT:
    Fudging in tracking calories/nutrition"

The reality is that this is the only thing it can be. You are eating more than you think. At your weight and height and the amount of exercise you are getting it still boils down to calories in are more or equal to calories out.

Thanks. Yeah, I was measuring rigorously at first, but less so lately. I probably need to get back to that.