Does fruit really count?!

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    everything counts. fruit calories are not invisible.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yep. it counts. Fruit might be considered healthier, yes.. but in moderation. Fruit is more "expensive" in cals because of its high sugar contents. Limit 2 pieces of fruit per day to balance your cal budget more easily.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If you set your loss to a pound a week, 500 calories is your entire daily deficit. Log the fruit already.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Heehee, cute question. I like it:happy:
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Of course it counts.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a mfp newbie. I've been logging fairly accurately. However I work shift work, so when I work a 12 hour shift I eat a lot of snacks. Usually all being fruit, strawberries/blueberries, grapes, peach and a plum. However those alone are over 500 calories or very close to. I'm finding I'm using a ton of my calories in just these snacks at work. My question is how much does fruit count in the grand scheme of things, should I overlook the fact that they are so many calories?

it totally depends what kind of diet you're doing. I'm eating as much fruit as I want on a paleo/primal eating plan. BUT I'm not tracking calories or restricting the amount of food I eat.

Some fruits are a lot higher in sugar/calories than others. So you could cut back on the worst ones, or substitute some with veges like carrot sticks?

I guess the other thing is, are you getting a proper meal in that 12 hour shift? Or are you just relying on the snacks?
  • SandraMartin3008
    SandraMartin3008 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Fruits count...They may be healthy, but they are still calories and your body will still treat them as calories. However, fruit is low in fat and contains lots of wonderful nutrients so don't stop eating it ! http://www.motivade.com/
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a mfp newbie. I've been logging fairly accurately. However I work shift work, so when I work a 12 hour shift I eat a lot of snacks. Usually all being fruit, strawberries/blueberries, grapes, peach and a plum. However those alone are over 500 calories or very close to. I'm finding I'm using a ton of my calories in just these snacks at work. My question is how much does fruit count in the grand scheme of things, should I overlook the fact that they are so many calories?

If you were to overlook the calories in the fruit, it will take you over your daily calorie allowance.

Fruit has calories, you have to include them.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    They totally count! But they are good for you. Maybe eat some carrots or other veggies and mix up the types of snacks you're getting if these push you over your calories.
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All calories are NOT created equal. That said, they still are calories and they do count. While 500 calories of fruit is a whole heck of a lot better than 150 calories of Doritos, they do factor in and you do have to count those 500 calories, if you are trying to lose weight.

The other thing to keep in mind about fruit, is though it is great for you and chock full of necessary vitamins, fiber and antioxidants, it is also high in sugar.

I would suggest swapping out some of the fruit for veggies, which have the vitamins, are lower in sugar and calories and still high in fiber, and maybe even throw in a few nuts (high in calories, but also high in good fats, protein and a lot of other things your body needs).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. It is entriely possible to become obese eating only healthy, natural, "clean" foods.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Of course fruit "counts." As you said, fruit has calories. Eat the fruit, and make sure you get sufficient protein and fats so it all forms a balanced diet.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Everything counts in large amounts.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yes I count them. 500 calories are a lot to disregard.... if you eat it - log it x

Yep. You don't get to decide which calories count and which don't. If you eat it, it counts.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're using any sort of logging system other than the Weight Watchers Points System (which does not attach a value to fruits) then yes you should count them. They have calories and a calorie is a calorie.
  • divaj87
    divaj87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They definitely count! Fruit adds up if you munch on it all day! Like pineapple for example, has a lot of natural sugar in it. To me, sugar is sugar and a carb is a carb. :)
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Everything counts. They have calories. Calories are calories, no matter where they come from.
  • craigerr
    Options
    I am new here as well, I am eating "fruit til noon" in my weight loss plan. Definitely the calories count, but from the research I have done, eating frequent portions of a food like fruit puts your metabolism into fat burning mode rather than fat storing mode.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

A calorie is a unit of energy...nothing more, nothing less. All calories count; yes, you're getting more nutrition from 500 calories of fruit than you would with 500 calories of cake...but to your body, the actual calorie is just energy and it's going to use it in the same exact way, regardless.