I feel like I have zero time to exercise, also I frickin hate it

Options

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »
    Unless there is a disability causing a barrier, all comes down to your own choices. Sure, things get in the way and they make us change our minds (ex. Family emergency, illness, etc.). You choose your own thoughts about exercise, which impact your feelings towards it, and then your behaviours follow suit.

Thinking "I don't have time for this exercise that I hate," will leave you feeling angry/ annoyed/ frustrated, etc. So, you don't do it. You can't blame anything but yourself for that - it's all a choice.

Thinking "I am going to set aside 30 minutes to do one activity that I really enjoy," will leave you feeling happy/ motivated, etc. So, you may be tired one day after work, but you know it's only 30 minutes and it's an activity that you enjoy. You will find a way to do it - still, a choice.

This is related to the Cognitive Theory and is what is used in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (I'm not searching for research links to post here, those who CHOOSE to further inform themselves, can do so easily. This is an evidence-based therapy often used in mental health, but can be applied in all aspects of life). You can do this therapy on your own to change your mindset.

I love this concept!
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    Walking outside is wonderful, but I just can't fathom purposeful exercise. I think my attitude is mostly coming from being exhausted after work, and wanting to save my evenings and weekends for fun activities (alone or with friends).

I guess I should think of ways to work activity into my regular day, but I'm so reluctant to start. Do you guys have success adding in physical activity to your day, besides going to the gym?

I guess I'm lucky that a lot of my friends are also runners & triathletes so I get to combine exercise and social interaction to some degree. This sounds counter-intuitive but back in the day when I was a highly accomplished couch potato I was more exhausted at the end of a work day than I am now.

Walking is a good start. Would it be practical to bike to work a couple of times per week? Do you have any interesting walking / hiking trails you could go to with your friends? Is there a sport you enjoy playing?

Getting more active doesn't require going to the gym, it's just a matter of finding opportunities to move more.

Great ideas. I was thinking of parking a 15 min walk from work, and that would help me get in 30 min of walking per day. Cycling sounds great in theory but I hate it in practice. Maybe I could work my way up to it, but walking sounds more enjoyable and zen.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    I think I may get my boyfriend to dust off the stationary bike. I can catch up on news and move my legs at the same time, right?

This is certainly a strategy that can work. My father who is in incredible shape and 68 watches movies while on his elliptical. He watches a lot of movies. ;)

What are you goals though? How much you "exercise" and the types of exercise you do are going to be highly dependent on your expected outcome.
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I think I may get my boyfriend to dust off the stationary bike. I can catch up on news and move my legs at the same time, right?

This is certainly a strategy that can work. My father who is in incredible shape and 68 watches movies while on his elliptical. He watches a lot of movies. ;)

What are you goals though? How much you "exercise" and the types of exercise you do are going to be highly dependent on your expected outcome.

My goal is really weight-loss at this point. I started at 230 lbs and I am down to 204 now through eating at a calorie deficit and being more mindful of my macro nutrients (decreasing carbs, increasing protein, etc). I would like to just continue at the rate of weight-loss I've set, but I know there will eventually be a plateau when my body gets to a more normal weight. That's why I'm looking to add in some more physical activity now and get into a habit of it, to help counteract some of that possibility of plateau. I also have read a lot about how increased physical activity helps you stay healthier as you get older.
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    Mental exhaustion can be as tiring as physical some days. So I would suggest knowing the difference and pushing through. I come home on my lunch break and workout on the treadmill mos days. Get creative and get moving. If it’s mental exhaustion, you will be so surprised of the benefits of working out. It helps you lose everything that’s rolling around in your mind.
    You got this!!!! Best wishes on your success.

You got that right!!! Stress can play a huge role in exhaustion, even if I'm not physically tired.
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    I struggle to find time as well as I work full time, am currently in grad school, and have 2 young kids and a fairly needy husband - however I have to make time for my mental health as well as for my body. I wake up at 5am and workout in my garage (I have a bunch of weights, a bench, a pull up bar, some other bits and bobs and a bunch of videos) before they all wake up 5-6 days a week. I don't necessarily love exercising, but I love how it makes me feel and it's the only "me" time I get all day.

Wow sounds like you have a full day every day! Great respect to you for taking your "me time." Very inspirational!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Start small and implement changes gradually. No one becomes a marathon runner overnight, but just do at least as much if not more today than you did yesterday.

Draw out your week and prioritize activities that are important to you. There are 168 hours in a week, so plenty of time to make time. You just need to prioritize what's important.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    If you don't typically exercise, I would say exercise is not very enjoyable - it's strenuous, requires exertion, and if you are out of shape, it can be just plain miserable. Well that is how I always felt. I would try something way too hard, have no physical endurance or conditioning to do it, be self-conscious, and not attempt it again for months.... years. Eventually when I got into a routine I liked, and my body became more conditioned and strong, it became something I actually looked forward to doing. Now it really is one of my favorite "hobbies." Everyone has to start somewhere and sometimes you just have to be willing to suck for awhile and stick with it. If you reach a certain level of proficiency, it actually can start being more enjoyable.

Yes, exercise *can* be fun. But for most people, *beginning* exercise is hard work and not so much fun.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you would like to achieve one day? Hike up a mountain with a fantastic view? Run a half marathon? Just being fit playing wild games with the children if you have any? I started parkour recently so I can escape the zombie apocalypse (well, really to get up and over obstacles easily, and it's a lot of fun to let out the inner child). I've been working out for years though and tried lots of things: ballet for adults, bikram yoga, weight lifting, running (my bunions disagree unfortunately), swimming, and what really stuck is body weight workouts. I started out in empty meeting rooms at work, but basically can do them in my livingroom, and it's just so creative and never gets boring as there are so many variations.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Walking outside is wonderful, but I just can't fathom purposeful exercise. I think my attitude is mostly coming from being exhausted after work, and wanting to save my evenings and weekends for fun activities (alone or with friends).

I guess I should think of ways to work activity into my regular day, but I'm so reluctant to start. Do you guys have success adding in physical activity to your day, besides going to the gym?

What do you consider the fun activities you want to save your evenings for, vegging on a couch watching a tube? If so, don't say you don't have time for exercise.

There are plenty of people who have kids, work a full day, do household chores, etc and still have time for purposeful exercise.

If you are too tired after work, workout before you go to work.

I fully understand there are busier people than myself. I didn't say I don't have time for exercise, I said that I want to save my time for stuff I find enjoyable (which is not exercising).

In short, yes I love vegging on a couch. I love knitting, I love sewing, I love playing piano, I love playing bass, I love reading.

My question is less "please tell me to work out!" and more "I'm interested in hearing your suggestions and ideas for fitting natural physical activity into a regular day."

The title of your post says in big bold letters, "I feel like I have zero time to exercise". Sure sounds like you are claiming you don't have time.

How about taking a 1/2 hour a day our the time you are spending doing your leisure activities each day to do some movement? Your health will thank you for it.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

My goal is really weight-loss at this point. I started at 230 lbs and I am down to 204 now through eating at a calorie deficit and being more mindful of my macro nutrients (decreasing carbs, increasing protein, etc). I would like to just continue at the rate of weight-loss I've set, but I know there will eventually be a plateau when my body gets to a more normal weight. That's why I'm looking to add in some more physical activity now and get into a habit of it, to help counteract some of that possibility of plateau. I also have read a lot about how increased physical activity helps you stay healthier as you get older.

Just as an aside:

Speaking as someone who's already fairly old (62), with friends who are also pretty old (+/- 10 years, mostly), this is absolutely clearly true, to me. It's being played out all around me. Not just health, but options for how you live your life, and not just exercise but excess weight. Both matter.

Some (obese or overweight, long-term inactive) friends my age can't do routine chores without help from their kids (flip a mattress, weed the garden, paint a room, etc.) - literally physically incapable. They can't do many fun things like art fairs, music festivals, sporting events, because they can't handle walking more than a couple hundred yards (and that would be a lot for them) or using extensive stairs (like in an arena). (It makes me sad that that we can't do those things together.) Some (healthy weight, long-term active) friends 10+ years older than me can do anything, including not just their chores and any routine fun activity you could name, but also run a 5K (or more), skydive, row for miles, or pretty much anything they set their minds to.

The overweight/out of shape people are sick more often, have more complications, need more surgeries, recover more slowly/poorly from them and get more infections and such while doing so, need to take more medications (that interact with each other to their detriment, and cost a bundle). The overweight/out of shape people's lives cost more for buying services they need but can't do themselves, medical expenses, etc. There are things they can't eat because of drug interactions or physical problems (gall bladder issues, diabetes, GERD, gout, etc.).

The healthy-weight/active people have relatively more discretionary income to spend on things they enjoy (vacations, etc.), and the ability to actively enjoy them. They can go out and eat and drink freely, for special occasions.

When you're older, life is likely to be literally more affordable, more independent, and more fun for most people who are at a healthy weight and able to be active.

I could go on and on. It's real.

I'm not trying to be scary or negative, but I'd like to see younger people realize this, and do things now that are kinder to their future selves. I mean it as encouragement, because you're on an improving course, and the impact on quality of your future life is likely to be very, very real. It's just hard to see in the moment, when current selves are clamoring for lounge-around time or a slice of cake. ;)

Best wishes!

This has been probably the key motivation for me, partly with weight loss, but especially for fitness. Having watched an extremely long health decline for my stepfather and my mother's challenges as his primary caregiver, I have a whole new appreciation for maintaining a strong and healthy body as one ages. I can't say I'm generally excited about going to the gym or prepping my meals, but the thought of being afraid to get on a stepstool to change a lightbulb or not having the joint mobility to reach up and unscrew that bulb is scary-sad enough to keep me (usually :D) on track. I admit, I do enjoy the aesthetic results of weight loss and improved fitness now--but it's really the long game that has driven my changes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Just as an aside:

Speaking as someone who's already fairly old (62), with friends who are also pretty old (+/- 10 years, mostly), this is absolutely clearly true, to me. It's being played out all around me. Not just health, but options for how you live your life, and not just exercise but excess weight. Both matter.

Some (obese or overweight, long-term inactive) friends my age can't do routine chores without help from their kids (flip a mattress, weed the garden, paint a room, etc.) - literally physically incapable. They can't do many fun things like art fairs, music festivals, sporting events, because they can't handle walking more than a couple hundred yards (and that would be a lot for them) or using extensive stairs (like in an arena). (It makes me sad that that we can't do those things together.) Some (healthy weight, long-term active) friends 10+ years older than me can do anything, including not just their chores and any routine fun activity you could name, but also run a 5K (or more), skydive, row for miles, or pretty much anything they set their minds to.

The overweight/out of shape people are sick more often, have more complications, need more surgeries, recover more slowly/poorly from them and get more infections and such while doing so, need to take more medications (that interact with each other to their detriment, and cost a bundle). The overweight/out of shape people's lives cost more for buying services they need but can't do themselves, medical expenses, etc. There are things they can't eat because of drug interactions or physical problems (gall bladder issues, diabetes, GERD, gout, etc.).

The healthy-weight/active people have relatively more discretionary income to spend on things they enjoy (vacations, etc.), and the ability to actively enjoy them. They can go out and eat and drink freely, for special occasions.

When you're older, life is likely to be literally more affordable, more independent, and more fun for most people who are at a healthy weight and able to be active.

I could go on and on. It's real.

I'm not trying to be scary or negative, but I'd like to see younger people realize this, and do things now that are kinder to their future selves. I mean it as encouragement, because you're on an improving course, and the impact on quality of your future life is likely to be very, very real. It's just hard to see in the moment, when current selves are clamoring for lounge-around time or a slice of cake. ;)

Best wishes!

My mother and my mother-in-law are just a few years apart in age and I'm seeing this dynamic in action right now. My (active) mother can do pretty much anything on her visits. We did a family relay race from Chattanooga to Nashville earlier in the year and it's not uncommon for us to walk 10 miles in a day seeing sights when she comes to visit me. She just went to Morocco with my sister and brother-in-law and rode camels and hiked. My (inactive) mother-in-law struggles to walk more than a block or two comfortably. She is only about five years older, but the difference in their lifestyle and what they can comfortably do is huge! It's sad because I know it limits my mother-in-law in some of her favorite activities (specifically getting around art museums).

If I wasn't already active, I would definitely reconsider after seeing what a difference it can make. It's not just about doing specifically athletic stuff. It's about doing everything you like doing with the comfort and independence we take for granted when we're younger.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I felt very similar. I started going to the gym and I really hated it. The only time I could go was the late evening after dinner and on gym days it really dragged my whole day down knowing I have to go out later.

I realised how much I hated it and that I was just making excuses not to go. Instead, I started doing workouts at home. I use YouTube to find videos and do them in my living room. After a while I was improving other health issues which meant I could exercise in the morning instead, I found this so much easier! At first, I just started off with very short videos, about 20 minutes. I built this up over time and I find I don't miss the sleep very much, once I'm up. I now alternate between quick 20 mins to 50 minute videos depending on how much time I have.

I'm like you, I wish I naturally like sports and that kind of thing. I've tried and I can't get into it. I'm really not coordinated, I tried a class and it felt like being picked last at school over again. So for me, it's best to get the exercise over and done with in the morning and do something I can do alone at home.

With regards to fruit/veg etc, I have actually found these have grown on me! I've tried taking different types to work with my lunch and I haven't enjoyed everyrhing I tried, but I have expanded my likes. I don't eat 'clean' or whatever, I just eat what I normally do but in smaller portions and wholemeal options. My diary is open so feel free to take a look.

I hope my experiences will help with what you are going through at the moment, ultimately you need to find what you can live with and don't force yourself to do anything you don't enjoy as this won't work in the long run.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Wearing a Fitbit/any kind of fitness tracker helped me incorporate more physical activity in my day in the beginning. Setting a step goal, etc. Doing some challenges with a group of people can get motivating to get in the extra steps.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options

What do you consider the fun activities you want to save your evenings for, vegging on a couch watching a tube? If so, don't say you don't have time for exercise.

There are plenty of people who have kids, work a full day, do household chores, etc and still have time for purposeful exercise.

I fully understand there are busier people than myself. I didn't say I don't have time for exercise, I said that I want to save my time for stuff I find enjoyable (which is not exercising).

In short, yes I love vegging on a couch. I love knitting, I love sewing, I love playing piano, I love playing bass, I love reading.

My question is less "please tell me to work out!" and more "I'm interested in hearing your suggestions and ideas for fitting natural physical activity into a regular day."

In short, stand. I set my sewing machine up at standing height and haven't really missed sitting. It's better for my posture, and just by its nature I'm burning more calories. Play bass standing. Knit standing up. Actually I've seen a couple of people who knit while walking. Couldn't do it myself, but an option.

Reading: I know some people say they can read while walking or on a stationary bike, personally, unless I'm super engaged at that bit, I find this very difficult. However, something I've been doing recently is walking outside to a bench and reading there. If the weather is good, I love reading outside. If you're near a park, walk to the park and read your book there. Reach the end of a chapter? Walk to the next bench and the continue. You'll look a little odd to outsiders, but you'll be getting in extra steps.

In all seriousness though, the easiest way to fit extra exercise in (excluding starting an activity), is to just try and walk more. How do you get to work? Bus? Get off a stop earlier and walk the rest of the distance. Drive? Park further away. Could you consider cycling to work? Could you go for a quick walk at lunch to get out of the office? Do you have the option to use a different bathroom or coffee machine at work? I often use the ones downstairs. It adds about 150 steps to my journey to the coffee machine and goes up and down stairs. Doesn't seem like a lot, but when you add that up over the course of a day I'm getting an extra about 900 steps in by just doing that. That's the equivalent of about 9 minutes walking.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

The title of your post says in big bold letters, "I feel like I have zero time to exercise". Sure sounds like you are claiming you don't have time.

How about taking a 1/2 hour a day our the time you are spending doing your leisure activities each day to do some movement? Your health will thank you for it.

Key word: “feel.” I “feel” like. Make an effort to understand nuance in language rather than accusing me of lying.

I understand just fine. People's thoughts/feelings are their reality. If you don't feel like you have time to exercise, that has become your reality.

Decide what you want your reality to be. Best of luck.