Sweet tooth

I am approaching my 1 year anniversary of a 50 lb weight loss and I would like some suggestion on dismissing this nagging sweet tooth that I can’t seem to shake. Suggestions?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You just have to learn to tolerate cravings. They are annoying, but not harmful. Are you regularly eating some of what you crave?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Honey mangos! 2 for $1 by me right now.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2018
    No need to get rid of the sweet tooth, just learn to feed it in moderation. I buy bite-sized/thin-sized cookies or chocolates (tend to have in the neighborhood of 15-20 calories each) and have found that I can quell my sweet tooth with one or two pieces. Do this a couple of times per day and ultimately it only adds up to 100-150 calories per day from sweets. Trader Joe's and Costco have great selections (TJ triple ginger cookies, oatmeal raisin, or vanilla wafers are all awesome) though you can easily find good options in any grocery store (brownie brittle is a fave for something that can be found pretty much anywhere).

The great thing about maintenance is that I have plenty of room for those calories so I don't have to deny myself my sweets!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    The great thing about maintenance is that I have plenty of room for those calories so I don't have to deny myself my sweets!

Seriously. I wouldn't say I have plenty of calories, but I definitely fit in my chocolate every day.

Ghirardelli minis are about 35-40 calories a square. The standard Ghirardelli squares are 50-70 calories a square. I can typically fit in one or two of those even when I'm low on calories.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    licorice tea is one of my favorites for that sweets craving
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I am a little over 5 months into maintenance and had this under control with fun size and minis, combined with some light breakfasts and lunches that left enough room for the occasional full size dessert. recently I have been struggling. I haven't gained any because I roll forward the extra calories and twice a week I do a very long SUP paddle that erases surplus pretty well plus I often have a day or two where I really restrict myself to make up for overages. I get that stupid binge mentality - "well, I am over and will have to deal with it another day, so I might as well have a couple of more treats since today is already shot". I have been through 4 or 5 cycles of that in the past couple of weeks. The rolling forward makes it look like I haven't had any trouble, except that right now yesterday looks that way. Assuming I stay on course today, I will add stuff to today that I remove from yesterday tonight making yesterday and today look right and rolling the rest into tomorrow. The tomorrow night I will go paddling and it will all be settled.
    So you could say I still have it under control. I have let it get out of control but not far enough to do damage. I want to break that cycle and get back to how I was doing it though.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Fruit, chia pudding, protein fluff, Chloe’s popsicles and gum are my go-to’s
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Low sugar PB and banana (or apple or even celery). Not low cal but not wasted calories either.

Yonanas (any fruit ground in these)

Tea - Good Earth Sweet/Spicy is amazing

Almonds - the Chocolate and Coconut ones (stevia sweetened) by Blue Diamond

A bit of Granola with a high quality yogurt and some berries at night satisfies mine many times.

Chocolate Protein drinks (I use SunWarrior, non sweetened non dairy milk like coconut milk) and maybe a half of a banana and if I want some Powdered PB). Not calorie free by any means but again, not wasted/empty calories either.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I have 2-3 fudgesickles every night after dinner (90 cal each). If I crave more it’s usually because I’m undereating. Then I really want to splurge. I’m trying a cup of red grapes instead of the 3rd fudgesickle to be a little healthier. I’m beginning to find them very satisfying. Takes awhile tho.
  • heavenlyml
    heavenlyml Posts: 3 Member
    I have to watch my blood sugar because of danger of becoming a diabetic. I use walden farms products--sugar free, carb free, calorie free. Some are gross, but the ones I like are the jams, strawberry syrup on low carb/ no sugar added ice cream, and I use the chocolate syrup in unsweetened almond milk with stevia blended with ice to kick a late night sweet tooth. I order the products through a website--it's cheaper than my local store.
  • christytraglia
    christytraglia Posts: 1 Member
    I recently have been blending up vanilla unsweetened almond milk, fresh berries (strawberries are my favorite in this sweet treat), and 2 servings of sugar free French vanilla coffee creamer. This has really been helping do the trick for my sweet tooth at Night and it tastes like a strawberry milkshake!
  • CheekyChiq88
    CheekyChiq88 Posts: 109 Member
    @crazyravr that looks amazing, whats in that
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    I have a horrible sweet tooth and am struggling to cut all added sugars from my diet. I have come to believe it is an addiction with me (note I said me). If I can make it through a week, the cravings go away shortly after. However I have to cut things that are similar (note 'sugar free') so that means diet soda, sugar free chocolate, etc. If I don't my mind just continues to go the the 'I gotta have something sweet' place and before you know it I'm back on the hard stuff. I wish I could do moderation in this area but I don't seem to be able to.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    crazyravr that does look good! Does it have a name yet so we know what recipe to look for?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I have a sweet tooth to and I've found the thing that works for me is to have an extra large dessert/snack every night with around 3/4 of my calories. I have always had a sweet tooth and like that I don't have to force myself to give it up. Been working for me for years.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Meringues. My grandmother always made them from scratch and I make them sometimes, too, but they're kind of a pain.

I discovered that Trader Joe's has them in a big tub that you can buy and munch when desired. They have like 20 calories each. I can pretty much binge on them for 200 calories or less.

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/4222
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited August 2018
    These are great too only 30-35 calorie per twist 6xnbcu9tavrx.pngt9cw1ppxd7p9.png
  • alexa0ne
    alexa0ne Posts: 90 Member
    My personal thoughts about eating sweets is the fact that it won't hurt your diet if you only consume the right amount. I do eat desserts and snacks but in moderation.